HybridZ

rimquest- the impossible

help me! help me! the internet is littered with rice shops selling bling bling on top of bling bling and the widest decent looking rim i can find is an 8! i want to run about a 225/245 or 255 tire front/rear, and i'm having a hell of a time finding a rim i'd actually put on my car with a straight face. i won't go anything bigger than a 17 and i'd like them to have at least a bit of dish. offset and bolt pattern don't really matter as i'm planning on running custom adapters.(wheeladapter.com) any ideas on where to look?

its really hard to find modern rims with a real deep dish, and hondas rule the aftermarket rims, sharing it with the suv crowd, making for flush face rims except if you go 22"!

one great oem wheel if you can find it and they are even rare factory, are the starion wheels, 16x8 front 16x9 rear, five lug with a great dish on them. more often found are 16x7 and 16x8 and they have offsets that would work on a z, 0 offset rear 17 front, kinda close up front, but they would work with a five lug conversion, or an adapter. starion wheels go cheap, but heres a funny one----they may go for 400, ive bought starions at the auction for 175, 235 out the door!!! may be worth your while to grab one at the auction, turbo cars dont get bid up that much because many times, they were abandoned due to headgasket, turbo failure, or both. this is especially true when the car looks good....

btw: youre not alone in this. me, im not into adapters at all, i drive stupid enough without worrying about a wheel falling off, even though ross c makes some kick butt adapters for z cars. right now im running a nice set of wheels from a silvia, but you know what? they are coming off too, and im going to sell them off, im running adapters on these wheels, and thats all i think about when i drive. I cant have that anymore, so off they come. The proceeds of these will go to a nice set of 16 inch wheels that have some dish on them but they bolt straight on.

i got looking into rims basically because i like to have at least a half a plan miles ahead of time. it's a damn good thing that my car needs way too much before the wheels go on, so at least i have time to find something. anyone else have ideas? i have to check out the factory starions.... only hope that with yz quarters they will be wide enough.

Guest Z-rific

If you like "dish" (like I do), consider a wheel with less backspaceing, like a 3.5 or 4". You will need flares, most likely.

I have 15x8 wheels with 3.5 backspace and I love the dish look on mine. I got mine from Centerline, but they are running out of Z rims, so call well in advance.

Check my photo album. The pictures are crappy, but will give you an idea of what is on there.

Hey Zbobo if you are doing the yz flares like I keep hoping to do I would seroiusly think about converting to a five lug setup or being prepared to fork out cash for custom 4 lug rims. The yz Flares can handle a 12 inch wide possibly 13 (still looking into that myself) wheel. Start considering how much those kinda wheels are going to cost you. Unless you want drag type rims in a 15 inch size you are going to have problems filling those flares. The new mustang five lug rims seem to be a favorite. IF your pockets are deep enough some companies such as volk hre and some others are making nice rims for wide body 300zx's and supra's however these are going to require a spacer at least on the rear. I would start thinking about costs involved in the different options. 5 lug swap vs flared vs custom rims vs adapters vs little selection. Id have my rims picked out if I had 2300 dollars to spend on them :( oh well

check out http://www.wheeladapter.com .... that's why offset and bolt pattern don't hugely matter. they're fully custom adapters/spacers so you can tailor them to the pattern/offset that the situation calls for. i know i'm ging to need width with the yz's... but that's the price i pay for setting the car up the way i want to. besides, the fringe benefits are extra traction for the torque my engine will be putting down. thanks for all the suggestions... keep them coming!!!!....bob

Hey Bob,

Diamond wheels in black are about as un bling'n as you can get and come in sizes up to 16x14. Best thing is they come in our bolt pattern and there are lots of back space options

I tried to up load the pic but I dont have anything to convert the file so heres the link...

http://www.diamondracingwheels.com/RoadRaceSeries.htm

Im gettin ready to order some in a 16x8 or so.. in black.. heh

Good luck anyway.. Sam

i gave centerline a really good look today and i was impressed with the configuration options. prices were a bit steep, but as far as i heard you get what you pay for. summit actually has some nice deals on those. as for the diamonds... a bit too unbling'n. but if i decide to race my car much i'm getting some to mount track tires on... those prices are just too good. but the good thing about centerline... they have our bolt pattern available so i'd only need to run an adapter more so as a spacer in case i (probably) need one. ignore what i previously said about 245 rear... i'm going to take your advice, topless, and go wide. you really do need some meat under that quarter as i've seen from searching around for pics.

Guest z1 performance

we can offer Simmons wheels for you - theya re all 3 piece, forged and made to order (ala HRE, Fikse), but very reasonably priced for the quality