HybridZ

Smog exempt 240z?

Guest 1zcarfan

I think that is very dependent upon where you are located. Here in Texas, any vehicle over 30 years old as I understand it is exempt. It is my understanding that this is also the case in California. My guess is that if it's good enough for California, it's good enough for the rest of the states. Your state department of motor vehicles would likely to be able to answer that one for you.

If you have any 240Z, it should be at least 30 years old!!!

Here in CA, as long as the engine is from the same class of vehicle (car to car, truck to truck etc) and is the same year or newer, and all of the original smog equipment (excluding catalysts) are in place, it will pass.

Tim

I was wondering if anyone here had a 240z with a small block chevy in it that was ceritified by the BAR as being smog exempt? Just Curious?

They don't test 240Z cars in Cali anymore. Just don't let them look under the hood...

What Tim said is true, just don't announce the V8 to the world and you'll be fine. If your car is impounded for your street racing, you are on your own and you better hope they don't look under the hood.

Davy

Im in ca. my z had not been on the dmv record for 15 yrs. After we were done with the v8 swap they said i had to bring it in for a inspection at the dmv, I was sure they were going to do some masive inspection.

I wait in line outside in my z, old dude comes out looking like one of the zombies out of night of the living dead. says.."open the hood" looks at the chevy 350, then looks at the vin under the windshield and writes something on his clipboard. Then says "open the drivers door" looks at the vin on drivers side and writes something again. Then hands me a paper and says"take this inside"

Thats it... did not even check anything..just the vins..hahahaha

Yeah, I had to do the same thing. All it is, is a VIN verification, matching the paperwork to the car. Mine was in pieces, so I had a third party come out to check it out. Cost $50. The dash was out, and the door tag had been removed (for painting), so i showed her the tags, she looked at the engine bay stamp...that's it.

Tim

Bill, AZ actually had a House Bill this year that would have instituted a 25 year rolling rule that would have exempted cars older than 25 years from going through emissions. I read about it in Street Rodder Magazine in March and looked it up online. Unfortunately, it never made it through all of the committees. I called one of the sponsers of the bill and talked to his secretary and she said he planned on reintroducing it in Feb. 2004 when they start next year's session.

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ

1971 V8 240Z