HybridZ

No more whinning about weak IRS's

Well I got my Jag rear in a package deal for about nothing, found narrowed axles and swing arms that are chrome plated just the right size on E-Bay for $200. I'll need new u-joints which are the same as Chevy and rebuild the inboard brakes. I just spent this afternoon polishing the outer carrier for the stub axle. I'll post a picture tomarrow. I'll have less than $400 in it . It's a 3:31 posi unit. It pays to learn to search E-bay. :D

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/album_pic.php?pic_id=2089

I think that's the link to my pictures. I not check under my profile for my gallery, for a picture of my Sunday afternoon polishing. It's not perfect, but dosen't look bad. It was the rougher then the one I still have to clean. There is a lot of deep marks and pitting from poor casting and factory grinding that are to hard to get out. The unfinished one should be a little easier to do.

It would be easier to put under a Z than a 9inch ford, at least I think so.

After rereading this thread I think Silicone Boy would need a solid rear to be legal at the track. No IRS after you get into the 10's I think.

Jag had two diff center sections, a Dana, and a weaker one that I cann't think of off hand. I've got the weaker one but it will be more than enought for my project. The Dana is the same as the Vettes used, Strong but not bullet proof. Scottie put one in his turbo V6 (Vette that is) and he pounds it hard. Check out his web site on the install of the vette rear. The main reason I'm using a Jag rear is, I'm using the complete Jag drive train.

NHRA requires a IRS to have upper control arms if they run 10's or better. I don't think silicone boy is into drag racing, though I could be wrong. I posted these links for those who have high HP to show that there are options to the Nissan IRS. If you are a dedicated drag racer then you should go live axle period! If your into carving corners then a IRS is your best option.

Mark

You're right. I've always been a road racer/autocrosser. Never drag raced (might be tempted under the right circumstances, though). I know that the rear end will be the weak link. I'm going to keep boost reasonable because 800 hp would be unmanageable (at least in my hands) in a track car. My second choice would be the R230 or the Corvette setup. Some of these aftermarket IRS's look great and are strong, but I think they are more geared towards the street rod crowd.

silicone boy, did you look at the 1speedway.com link?

They list quick-change IRS's for IMSA GTO or SCCA TransAm cars!

Also IMSA GTU or SCCA GT3 or GT4!

Street rods only? Look again! :-D

The R230 is still limited in gear selection, not to mention strength!

A vette's IRS isn't that strong either, Scottie GNZ broke his already!

If you want to play, you got to pay!

Mark

I wonder if there is a decent posi for the Dana that comes in the Vettes. I seem to remember there only being one, a Dana tracklok (aka trashlock) which is weak at best in both strength and hookup. Tends to break spider gears, and has a very weak posi design.

Maybe there are more available now...

Jon