HybridZ

Ecu swap question

240ZinTN

I have search for an answer but can't seem to find what I need. I am trying to set up an L28ET with a Z31 ECU. Do I have to use a turbo ECU and wire harness? I have 280ZXT harness and lots of Z31 n/a ECUs, are they compatable? I know I will have to use a Z31 MAS instead of an AFM. I can get a Z31 n/a harness if this would be easier. The Z31 turbo ECU and harnesses are a little harder to find and since I have all these other parts I am hoping I can use to save $ for SVO 370cc injectors.

I have been searching for answers to my questions and have been following the posts you recommended but they still do not provide the answers I am looking for (I even re-read them again before posting this just to be sure I didn't miss something). If someone could simply give me a yes or no on... Will the z31 na ECU and harness work just as well as the turbo versions? I would be extremely grateful. Once I have that to start with I will figure out the rest. Thanks

Guest bastaad525

I agree... those posts definately do not contain the answers to the specific questions he is asking. I only pitch in because I would definately like more info on a Z31 setup too, as far as, exactly what parts from which car will end up in the final setup. And a final answer on just how hard it would be to pull it off.

I did find some more info in the second series of posts Sleeper referred to. Just posted today.

I ran the turbo ECU from 87. It 's better for me because it pulls timing under boost. I don't think the N/A ECU will do that.

( I hope that quote works) from what I can tell so far it looks like a z31 N/A set up will work but not as well. yo2001 doesn't sound to sure and it doesn't look like he actually tried a N/A ECU.. Can anyone clarify this before I put in several hours following and cutting wires.

when I looked in my manual last, when it shows z31 harness pinout, na and turbo are shown together, while 70-83 turbo and NA are completely different. I believe they are the same for the most part, just from looking at the book, but cant be sure.

I think everyone is wandering about how to hack up the harness. I can't tell you because I got mine pre hacked :D

But all you need is Z31 schematic, ZXT schematic, colored pencils, and alot of time stearing at lines. Once the harness is really, only thing you do is pretty much hook the sensors, grounds, and harnesses.

Here is what you need to get Z31 ECU run

12V to MAF from an ignition realy

12V for self cleaning

grounds to MAF

0-5v signals to ECU from MAF

TPS (no mod there)

CAS (no mod there)

12V constant from a battery to ignition relay

ignition 12V from the ignition switch

ignitor

Dizzy CAS swap

6 injector signals from ECU to injectors

I think that's all I got hooked up.

I think everyone is wandering about how to hack up the harness. I can't tell you because I got mine pre hacked :D

But all you need is Z31 schematic' date=' ZXT schematic, colored pencils, and alot of time stearing at lines. Once the harness is really, only thing you do is pretty much hook the sensors, grounds, and harnesses.

12V for self cleaning

grounds to MAF

TPS (no mod there)

CAS (no mod there)

ignitor

Dizzy CAS swap

I think that's all I got hooked up.[/quote']

yup .its really that easy. also, notice that at least three of the steps are to the one MAF plug. its not very difficult at all, but I could see it getting frustrating though if you are new to efi.

But all you need is Z31 schematic' date=' ZXT schematic, colored pencils, and alot of time stearing at lines. Once the harness is really, only thing you do is pretty much hook the sensors, grounds, and harnesses.

12V for self cleaning

grounds to MAF

TPS (no mod there)

CAS (no mod there)

ignitor

Dizzy CAS swap

yup .its really that easy. also, notice that at least three of the steps are to the one MAF plug. its not very difficult at all, but I could see it getting frustrating though if you are new to efi.

And if you are new to EFI, don't jump right into this swap. Install the factory system and get that going. Troubleshoot it and otherwise get to know EFI.

12V for self cleaning

grounds to MAF

TPS (no mod there)

CAS (no mod there)

ignitor

Dizzy CAS swap

And if you are new to EFI, don't jump right into this swap. Install the factory system and get that going. Troubleshoot it and otherwise get to know EFI.

what he said 8)