HybridZ

Mirror finish/reflective or prismatic

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

Hi.

I've got an 83 280ZXT, and it has white paint of the cheapest quality reapplication.

I've always wondered why I've never seen a car with a mirror chrome like paint finish. Sure there were aluminium Deloreans, and various Audi and M3 prototypes with tons of coats for show vehicles, but what's the deal with no production mirror chrome paint? Is it reflectivity liability? Is there a brand or type which is close, such as the really expensive prismatic paints now in use..brand name dropping appreciated? I would love to do my Z either in mirror silver or mirror blue tint, or both, ala anniversary Z!!

Thanks

John

The liability of blinding everyone else on the road, not to mention yourself (think late afternoon sun on the hood) has to be why you don't see this.

There was a guy in a town I used to live in who covered his whole car in tin foil. Not kidding! And he IRONED IT flat. It really looked pretty good, for a couple of years, then the foil started to peel up from stone damage.

I never figured out what kind of car it was. I think an old Mazda compact from mid to late 70's.

Jon

The main problem with doing something like that is the application process. To get the roof chromed would require removing it and bolting it back in place (no welding - discoloration) because nobody has a chrome tank big enough to dip an entire car body in. The second problem would be in finding absolutely perfect body panels. Even brand new body panels usually need to be touched up before they're painted. Can you imagine having to get each and every piece absolutely straight, with not one hint of filler or contamination?

I think it would be possible, though. Especially if you had a convertible, where all the visible body parts disconnected from the unibody/frame.

Maybe you could do it with an Eastwood Home Chrome Plating Kit, or something!