HybridZ

LSD question

Guest Grenade300

Guest Grenade300

I want to mount a 300ZXT 3.70 lsd on a '77 280Z, do I need to use the 300ZXT halfshafts or should I use 280ZXT halfshafts. I heard that the 300ZXT halfshafts are a little more difficult to to adapt to an early Z, or is it easier because I would be using a 300ZXT diff? Thanx.

Ross C at modern motorsports sells both styles of adapters. The 300ZX halfshafts are much more common, ie cheaper than the 280 ZXT/2+2 shafts. Some people have done the 280ZXT swap onto 240 stubs with the factory adapter, but consenus is that it will bind. I purchased his adpaters for the 280ZXT shafts and sent him my 280 flanges for the attachment. I am upgrading to the stonger 280 stubs and would recommend same to you, which rules out the 280ZXT factory flanges.

Guest Grenade300

Just to be sure that I'm on the same page as you, The setup that you're describing is using the 300ZXT LSD and the halfshafts that come with it. Then use the adaptors to connect my 77 280Z stubs to the halfshafts. Right?

Yes, but it is the more expensive way. As Phantom noted, using the short "stub" axles from a 76-78 280 allows the 300ZX LSD to be bolted into a first gen Z car by only changing the rear cover. (Assuming an R200 originally installed.) The adapters are not cheap and require you sending or buying a set of 280Z companion flanges that the adapters are then welded to. Check out the adapters on modern motorsports page.

Guest Grenade300

Thankyou Phantom and Mike C. I appreciate both of you guy's feedback. I would like to run about 400 ft lbs of torque on my V-8 conversion and I don't need to be picking up pieces of my car after a hard launch. I am also considering using the quaife LSD, but the cheapest I could fing one is for $1,000. So until I have to money to put the quaife in a 3.54 I'll use the 3.70 setup. Thanks again.

I'm planning to use 3.7 LSD and CV axels out of 280zxt,i have question regarding 280z vs 240z companiaon flanges and stubs.If i want L28et with about 280-300HP do i still need to update to 280z parts? Or original 240z stabs and flanges will hold.My plans for car doesn't include drag racing, just strret use, ocasionally autocross.

Thanks,

David

Guest Grenade300

DavD2,

I would definitly consider putting on the stronger stubs and cv shafts at that amount of power. It would really suck to be sitting on the side of the road because you busted a halfshaft. The 240Z stubs might hold, but probibly give out after a number of good hard takeoffs, even on the street. Why leave it to chance, At least this way you know that your rear end will hold whatever you throw at it.