HybridZ

ZF6 Trany tunnel mod

hanomon

Dave,

I think it's going to be trial and error. It was for me with the T56, although the pounding was very minimal.

Put the engine and box in as a complete combo, with the tailshaft of the box on the ground. Line up the engine mounts and loosely bolt the engine to the X member. Then jack up the tailhousing of the box until you get interference. Mark that spot on the tunnel with the tip of a screwdriver, let down the box and pound away, repeat until you have enough clearance all around the box. I used a piece of 4 x 4 x 4 block of wood inbetween the hammer and tunnel so that I didn't have obvious hammer marks showing through the tunnel.

Tim

You may want to do some more research before you start hammering the tunnel. The shifter loction on the ZF6 is not a good match with a Z. The one picture of an attempted install I saw had the shifter coming out in the middle of the driver's hip. The guy was asking for advice on what to do, but unfortunately he never posted a solution.

When I was considering an LT4/ZF6 package, about the best advice I got was to sell the tranny to a vette guy for big $$$ and pick up a t56. The trannys are very expensive to work on.

• 3 weeks later...

I woyuld not recomment the ZF6 install in any zcar. The shifter is offset to center of the case, and real imoportant, the input shaft is not center to the case either, so what that gets you is the shifter sitting about 3 inches closer to the driver seat, and you will need to do more then hit the tunnel to make the gear box fit and remove that part of the tunnel and make a new cover. So that sucks.

The tranny itself, is very strong, but I found out that alot of the units have a problem with second gear and its oiling in the gear box, they go bad, but there is a fix for that problem.

Looking at all of the problems and challenges of installing the tranny for my car, I did not like the tunnel mod, I did not like the shifter, and it is sloppy anyway. and I really did not like the second gear issue.

I went with a tremec TKO2 tranny and that has worked out very well for me. I used the stock T5 bell housing, the stock clutch fork, the 240mm clutch. And I used the LSD diff flange and was able to setup the whole thing with 1310 spicer universal joints. The tranny mount was not to hard to modify. I 3as able to use the T5 speedo pinion (20 tooth) and just machined down the holder to fit the TKO. I did have to take to the 20 tooth pinion on a lathe, and use a dremel on the teeth to make it fit. The 19 tooth pinion fit perfect, but my speedo was 5mph off with my tires and gear set.

The clutch was made for the TKO input shaft. I had to make the throwout slider based on the T5 slider and use a Isuzu throw out bearing to fit the stock pressure plate.

The thing I really like is the second to third shift, EXCELLENT, perfect transition. The tranny is very strong, and with the .82 over drive I run about 3K rpm's @ 80mph, topend is 165mph.

I think for the manual tranny that is the best option. Also, you may want to get in touch with Gforce, as I understand they now(only after my install) make a new gear set for the T5. So there you have it. LOSE the ZF6 it is not worth the trouble in my opinion. I dont like hacking my car like that. :D

• 2 months later...

I sold the ZF6 and got a new modified T56 through Rodney Massengale at ebay item No.2444318310. (Indiana) Rather pricy, but not as much as a Richmond. It is rated at approx 450ft.lbs. I lost the stock 36lb. flywheel and got a Fidanza 11lb. I expect the tremble factor to increase a bit at idle however, throttle response will be rather immediate. like now! Thanks again guys for the input. Tim, any update on how that tranny worked out?

And congrats on the loosening of the Gooze