HybridZ

More R-200 LSD Madness (And questions too)

Guest Big Geek

Guest Big Geek

First off hi to all !!! I am new to this board and was turned on to it by Scottie GNZ. I have owned my 1970 240-Z for several years now and it has had a couple of SBC motors in it. I am now in the process of doing the GN Turbo Buick swap and I am more than a little concerned about the torque issue regarding the R-200 half shafts. I would like to get some type of LSD for the exsisting 3.54 geared rear (Deeper gears are not an option as the 3.54's are at a minimum for the combo I am running.) but have absolutley no clue which direction in which to head. I keep hearing and reading about the Quaife (Spelling?) units but am thinking to myself that for the funds I could do a DANA-36 swap not unlike Scottie's. I have found a could of LSD units for 240-SX R-200's but again have no clue whether they would work or not. Any thoughts or suggestions? I am kind at a loss and could REALLY use some help regarding this matter. Thanks for any and all suggestions in advance. Cheers !!!

Jim C.

P.S.- Good to meet ya'll !!!

Hey Jim, glad to see you made it over here from TurboBuicks.com! For my setup, I got a R200 3.54 and swapped in a LSD carrier from a '87 300ZX Turbo. For the half shafts, you can use 280ZX turbo halfshafts (aka CV's) and use 280Z stubs with the CV adaptor made by Modern Motorsports.

This setup is the same as Derek's GNZ and he was pulling mid 10's without a problem (although, he was using 3.70's in the rear).

EDIT:By the way, this setup is all plug and play, no custom machining involved.

!M!

Guest Big Geek

Thanks for the help Matt, I really appreciate it. I will try and find me a 300Z carrier. I have seen a few on E-bay recently. I may send you a link to take a peek at (If you don't mind.) to make sure I am getting the right stuff. Thanks again. Cheers !!!

Jim C.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm new to this but thought you took the center piece from lsd and ring from the unit you are going to use it in. That way keeping the shims from the unit you have. Do I have it backward? Sorry I'm sure this is a basic question, but I don't know the answer and have not seen it explained.

For my example I hope to have a 4.11 R 200 then find say a 3.7 LSD.

I would take center section from 3.7 and replace the center of the 4.11 and use the spacers from the 4.11.

Thanks

That should work fine Jack, unless the carriers are machined a couple thou off, in which case you might have to reset the backlash. You are right about the ring and pinion being a set also. The curvature on the teeth is such that a 3.70 pinion won't mesh with a 4.11 ring.

The main thing I think you'll have an issue with is that the R200 LSD from the Z31 has 12mm ring gear bolts, and so you have to find a later R200 with 4:11's, or possibly use a spacer sleeve in the ring gear bolt hole if you get an earlier R200.

Jon

Thanks Jon

I'm trying to get an R 200 from a 200ZX as we speak I think it is from an 85 or 86 turbo. I will use it on a 260 with 383 ~300 rwhp 8.0 1/8 hoping to get it to 7.8 or so I have 24 inch slicks welded dif (3.54 now) it has a team g 234 244 .480 .510 cam so hopin it will lite me up some. I hear gears help alot maybe I will soon know

Stony sorry took me so long to respond. Im sure you are right but Im baby HP compared to you. I have about 300 rwhp and do 8 sec 1/8 I just got my 4.11 and I'm hoping that will get me faster but time will tell.

If I get fast like you (careful what u ask for) I'm sure I will need a solid axle

Where I live we only have 1/8 mile tracks unless you drive a few hrs so I set for that

Thanks again