HybridZ

Pro's and Con's of all the Z's

Guest SilverPhoenix48

Guest SilverPhoenix48

What are the pro's and cons of all the Z's mainly the 240, 260,280, I know the 280 weighed alot more due to the bumpers but it also had slightly different suspension and chassis setup, how does this effect handling? and about how much power can these cars take before they need reinforcement into the chassis.

240z's will need more reinforcemet then a 280Z at the same HP levels...

early 240Z's are the lightest, late 280z's are the heaviest of the S30's...

my 1976 280Z with out the front bumper, no carpet, and 100% stock.. was right around 2500lbs....

cant saying else as ive never driven both a 240Z and 280Z that were running great back to back..

mike

Guest SilverPhoenix48

I've been thinking of building a 350-400HP Z LS1, starting off with the Stock Power and adding more later on, I wanted to know if there was a significant handling difference, and how much and how hard it is to reinforce the chassis.

Exactly what should my search query be?

Try "handling"

Try "weight"

Try "reinforcing"

Also, spend some time reading the threads in the "Brake...Chassis" forum. Your question isn't something that is just summarized somewhere electronically or in someone's head. You'll have to do some research.

well it would prob be better off starting with a 280Z.....

my 280Z SHOULD handle good now.... havent driven it yet with the new suspension... and i need to reinforce it too... soon enough,....

mike

Guest SilverPhoenix48

alrite gone searching, anyways what is ur guys opinion on which car to get for my criteria, I'm looking up stuff but just want to know what you guys think.

320-400HP LS1

some brake and suspension upgrades

Used for fast straight line but also for track use

everday driveability

decent MPG(basically how heavy the car is)

alrite gone searching' date=' anyways what is ur guys opinion on which car to get for my criteria, I'm looking up stuff but just want to know what you guys think.

320-400HP LS1

some brake and suspension upgrades

Used for fast straight line but also for track use

everday driveability

decent MPG(basically how heavy the car is)[/quote']

There are always tradeoffs. Just see what's available in your area, as I would not buy one over the net - can you say RUST? Personally I prefer the looks of the 240Z, but I love my 280Z as well.

Guest SilverPhoenix48

I'm in NY and when I compared the 280 and 240 the specs at supercars.net turned out these numbers 240:2300Lb's and 280:2800-2900LB's, but if u can really lose that much weight by just taking the bumpers off the 280 why the hell not.

edit- oh yeah is there a big difference between the 280ZX and 280Z

Bone stock 240Zs, fully equiped are around 2,400 lbs. Bone stock 280Zs fully equipped are around 2,800 lbs. The additional weight is in more then just the bumpers. Thicker and more sheet metal, thicker and stronger crossmembers, thicker strut tubes, heavier diff (if an R200), and more creature comforts. The 400lb weight difference remains basically a constant if both vehicles are lightened for racing. The 240Z can get down to 2,200 and still be street legal while the 280Z can get down to 2,500 to 2,600 in the same basic configuration as the 240Z.

The SCCA requires the 240Z to weight 2430 lbs with driver when racing in ITS and they require the 280Z to weigh 2730 with driver. Its easy to get a 240Z down to its weight minimum and hard to get the 280Z down to 2730 in race trim (with roll cage, etc.)

Guest SilverPhoenix48
sry to be such a newb at this lol, so it still remains arg between the 240 and 280

I have no idea what this sentence means.

I'm saying I'm sry for asking so many simple questions, and I still haven't decided whether to go with the 240Z or the 280Z/ZX

Ultimately, the decision between the early Z and the ZX comes down to your own style preference. Which one do you think looks better. Whichever style you go with, the decision over which model year should be based on how clean (rust free) the vehicle is. For a V8 conversion I would much prefer a rust free 280 shell over a lighter, rusty, 240 shell, if those were my only two choices. The same is true when looking at ZXs.

Search under LS1/T56. I went with the 280 for my LS1/T56 conversion. The 280 already has fuel injection so the tank was set up and a locatin available for the external fuel pump. It also is structurally stronger although I've still added strut tower braces and a roll bar with subframe connectors to come.

Guest 240hybrid

If you can't decide between the 240 and 280, why not look around for a 260Z. Best of both worlds. Depends on which you get though I think, the early 74 260Z is pretty much the same chassis as the 240, but the later 260Zs are more like the 280z, and therefore a heavier, and more rigid chassis. Overall I believe that both, the early and late 260Zs are a bit stiffer than the 240 chassis, but I could be wrong??

I used to have a 75 280, but I was hit in the front with that car and I swapped the 2.8 out of it into the 73 240 I bought that same day. People that have riden in my 240 and had a chance to ride in my 280 say the chassis seems stiffer in the 240. Go, fig. The lighter 240 might have made the car more nimble in corners, which made the 240 seem stiffer than my old 280. There might have been more body roll in the 280 also.

Searching the subject is a great idea, you get perspectives from everyone. Good luck with your choice.

Click here: http://zccw.org/Tech/Body/08-97AnalysisEarlyZChassis.html

You will see that there are really only two chassis designs for the early Gen. 1 Z's. The change from one to the other occurred in mid-year of the 260Z production which is why some have the 240Z style bumper (chassis) and some have the 280Z crash bumper (280Z chassis).