HybridZ

Pro's and Con's of all the Z's

Guest SilverPhoenix48

Guest SilverPhoenix48

I think i've decided on the 280Z or ZX, I heard there were some problems with the steering rack or something in the ZX if you try to swap a motor in?, either way it will def be a 280

Ya know Terry, I try. Sometimes I wonder why, but I do.

how much HP/Tq can a stock 280 take?

Which one? A 280Z or a 280ZX? They are two completely different chassis. The 280Z is the same chassis as the 240 and 260 only a little stiffer. The 280ZX is a different chassis based on the 200SX and the 810.

Guest SilverPhoenix48
Ya know Terry' date=' I try. Sometimes I wonder why, but I do.

how much HP/Tq can a stock 280 take?

Which one? A 280Z or a 280ZX? They are two completely different chassis. The 280Z is the same chassis as the 240 and 260 only a little stiffer. The 280ZX is a different chassis based on the 200SX and the 810.

eh both lol

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I have a 240 and I love it, but I guess a CLEAN 240 is pretty hard to come by. :D

I would say that the biggest question is how likely are you going to be to make the structural mods to support the HP. If you get a 240, you MUST make some mods (sub-frame connectors and/or cage) whereas a 280 can hold quite a bit more power without needing the mods. I got a 240 because of the look, the fact that it was available, the fact that it is smog exempt, and the fact that this particular one was amazingly clean and a great deal and had already had the R200 swapped in.

If you still havent decided if you want a Z or a ZX, you should work on figuring that out first. They are two different body styles entirely, and different elements are to be considered for their respective swaps.

i always hear the 240's have thinner sheet metal then 280's. the sheet metal on my 280 seems REALLY thin, how much thinner could a 240's be?

I've bolted roll bars into both a '73 240 and a '78 280 and the metal that the inner wheelhouse is made of seemed considerably thicker in the 280.

Funny that you've decided on either a 280Z or 280ZX, as the 280Z is almost the same car as a 240Z, while the ZX is a totally different chassis.

My opinion:

If you're serious about performance, get a 240Z. The large majority of the ~400lb additional weight of the 280Z is NOT in chassis stiffness, and it's a lot easier to stiffen a 240Z, while adding only a few pounds, than it is to excorsize 400 lb. from a 280Z. I wouldn't consider the 280ZX because of the inferior semi-trailing arm rear suspension design, not to mention the styling (subjective).