HybridZ

Hydraulic Throwout Bearing

hjc74260Z

I plan to use a 1970 LT-1 with a Muncie 4 speed for my '74 260Z. I have everything but the throwout bearing. Is there an alternative to the McLeod hydraulic throwout bearing? They are awfully expensive on the McLeod web site.

Those of you using a McLeod bearing - Where did you buy it and what did it cost?

I know, I know - I should be using a 5-speed but the car will only be driven once or twice a month and then primarily on back roads. I got very close to buying a TKO but figured I could finish the car for the $2000 I would have spent on the tranny and had a good Muncie laying on the shelf.

I did several searches on the site and came up empty.

You can buy a Lakewood scattershield (or McLeod) that uses the Camaro T5 slave setup. It is drilled for both conventional Muncie and the rotated T5 patterns. Then you can just use the same setup as detailed in the JTR manual. This will be easier to solve hydraulic issues for sure, about the same price, but you get the added security of an explosion proof bellhousing. Another alternative is the 84-88 Corvette bellhousing. I think the hydraulic setup is easier to adapt than the Camaro one since you don't have to deal with the plastic line, but still not explosion proof. Might be worth a call to see if any of the vendors have a part# for a scattershield in an 84-88 'vette.

Thanks for your responses. I bought a Howe model 82870 from Summit for $149.00. The only way to find a listing for this part at Summit is to do a google search. You can't get to the listing by going through their menus.

I already had the Howe 7/8" cylinder so I now have every part needed to complete the swap except the drive shaft. I'll wait until the new engine and transmission are in before getting that made.

if you can find the infamous scarab bellhousing, you can use a stock datsun slave cylinder.

i ran a m21 in my old v8z, best tranny ever made Afaik, nothing i could do would get it to stop working, nothing. blew my first engine before that trans, blew my first mustache bar before it, blew halfshaft, mounts.

only two constants---r200 didnt go and the m21 wouldnt stop rockin.

tilton master cylinder and a stock datsun slave, modded to be adjustable and used corvette clutch fork to secure adjustments, worked well.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's my $.02 worth. If you have room for a slave cylinder, go that route. Its sure a lot easier to work on if you have any problems as opposed to pulling the tranny all the time, which you'd need to do if you have a hydraulic throwout bearing. If I were to use a hydraulic throwout bearing, I'd get the best available ($150 ain't so cheap if you're always pulling your tranny to fix something).

Mike Mileski

Tucson, AZ