HybridZ

Pop off valve

cygnusx1

My 76/83T hybrid is running so nicely that I decided to make a ball-spring "boost controller" for it. I made the BSBC (Ball Spring Boost Controller) and set it with a bike pump and a gauge to hold 10psi. I took it for a spin and the car is WICKED FAST. The good news is that my pop off valve works. The bad news is that my pop off valve works. It is blowing open at 9PSI which is where I would like to run until I get an intercooler. However, I want my BSBC to limit boost, not the POV. I really don't like the idea of plugging the POV port. I would rather set it up to Pop at about 10 psi for now OR make it adjustable.

Has anyone modded the POV and any other thoughts or ideas?

THX

Dave C.

Here's a trick I saw on the internet.

Carefully remove the top of your stock POV. Find a washer that fits around the vertical pin but covers as much area inside the POV as possible. Drill a hole in the top of the POV, and spot weld a small nut over the hole. Spot weld or recrimp the POV top on, and thread a screw into the POV through the nut. It would be optimal if you have access to an air compressor to test when it pops, but if you don't, stick a rubber glove over the POV after reinstalling it on the car. use a rubber band to hold it tightly in place. when the POV vents, your glove will blow up, and you'll see it from the drivers seat, where you can watch your boost guage. dial the screw in to raise its vent pressure, and dial it out to lower it.

Guest znow white

I cant wait to start my swap so wat you waiting for cygnusx1 start modding that sucker up!

Iam liking the motivation that spooling omg its the most beautiful noice :twisted: I have a complete 82zxt but looking for 1st generation....another thing thats holding me back is garage....we rent and its parked out side :(

Guest jjohart

Can someone please tell me the difference between a blow off valve and a pop up. Seems like everyone here fabricates the pop up, but I'm a dupe, and I'd like to know where I can buy one for my 83 280ZXT...I already have a Gen 1 Mits BOV..is that enough?!?!?

John

Can someone please tell me the difference between a blow off valve and a pop up. Seems like everyone here fabricates the pop up' date=' but I'm a dupe, and I'd like to know where I can buy one for my 83 280ZXT...I already have a Gen 1 Mits BOV..is that enough?!?!?

John[/quote']

I answered this question for you yesterday. What did you not understand?

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=27754

I'm still having trouble telling the difference between a BOV (which I have in hand' date=' a DSM gen 1), and the "pop off valve". Could someone explain, and tell me where they sell them, or are they custom made by the plumbing installer, or the computer/brains department for my installation (83 280ZXT).

John[/quote']

A BOV is installed before the throttle body to vent air pressure when you close the throttle - it prevents damage to the turbo from stalling it. A pop-off is mounted in the manifold and is designed to vent "excessive" boost pressure - it's a safety device to prevent engine damage in case the wastegate sticks closed.

Guest jjohart

Hi, now that I understand what it is, where can I get one (a pop off valve). Are they only custom made by professional or backyard Z installers, or are there any makes/ones for grabs on Ebay or elsewhere!

John

Hi' date=' now that I understand what it is, where can I get one (a pop off valve). Are they only custom made by professional or backyard Z installers, or are there any makes/ones for grabs on Ebay or elsewhere!

John[/quote']

It's stock on a ZXT. Best thing you can do is remove it and plug the hole. Unless you really want it, then modify it as described above.