HybridZ

Define irony: Cell phones

auxilary

Woman On Cell Phone Dies In Car Crash

Car Plows Into Cell Phone Store

POSTED: 7:50 a.m. EST November 3, 2003

WEST BRIDGEWATER, Mass. -- An Abington, Mass., woman, driving and talking on her cell phone, died after her car plowed into a cell phone store in West Bridgewater.

Bethaney Lawton, 20, was not wearing a seat belt when her car crashed into a Cingular Wireless building shortly before 1 a.m. Saturday, officer Thomas Richmond said.

"She was on a cell phone, talking to a friend," Richmond said. "She told her friend, 'I'm about to get into an accident.' ... The friend heard the crash, the phone went dead."

Lawton swerved to avoid a utility pole, crossed into the oncoming lane and crashed into the building, Richmond said.

The car was three-fourths into the building, and it took 20 minutes to free her from the wreckage, according to Fire Chief Leonard Hunt. She died while undergoing surgery at Boston Medical Center.

Police said Lawton was alone in her car after dropping off a friend in Bridgewater. She was studying to be an EMT at Massasoit Community College.

Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/2604313/detail.html

That's gotta be a future Darwin award.

Don't EVEN get me started on this subject (not unless I can go ahead and put my 50mm cannons in the headlight holes of my Z and blast all those unconscious cell-phone drivers)

Right on Terry. That's definitely gonna affect your weight distribution though... :D

Jon

I had a lady like that, who stuck me in the middle of an intersection while she was talking on her phone and trying to make a U-turn. The light went red while I was waiting, and oncoming traffic had to sit and wait for her. I usually don't say much (bad karma catches up with people), but I couldn't let it go. "Get off your f****** cell phone, lady!!!" was what I let out. Boy was she pissed, as if I did something wrong. I got the finger and everything. It was pretty sad. Well, goes to show what happens to "intelligent" people.