HybridZ

Mitsu 3000

Chaparral2f

I never see anyone mention the Mitsubishi 3000. I love the style, but I know almost nothing about them other than they are basically the same body as a Dodge Stealth. What's the deal? Are they dogs? Seems to me that they ould make a kick ass candidate for an engine swap, even though someone told me that they have about 300 hp stock. Of course this is probably just a baseless rumor.

stealth and 3000gt are identical, they are a DSM product (diamond star motors, joint venture of chrysler and mitsu) like the first and 2nd generation eclipses. Dodge base model is a weak 160hp v6, mitsu 3000gt base had a 220hp v6, both fwd. The vr4 model was awd, aws, with a twin turbo 320hp v6. It weighed in at almost 4000lbs, but could do 13 sec 1/4 mile stock.

They're also prone to lots of expensive mechanical failures

Guest ls1z4me

I had 93 Vr4 and liked the car for its style, handling, and speed. The Vr4 had a lot net features like active aerodynamics, active exhaust, electronic suspension control, AWS, AWD, and of course the twin turbo 3.0L. Only about half the stuff worked at any given time.

I had to fix something on about once a month, and parts we high dollar. The engine was very difficult to work on due it transverse mounting. The Getrag transmissions and transfer cases were weak, and at the time they were non reparable because there were no parts for them. That has changed and now you can get aftermarket parts for them and they are supposedly a lot stronger.

I installed a boost controller and k&N filter and according my G-tech was making about 370HP. Like Auxiliary said the cars are heavy and I estimated my curb weight 3750-3850 lbs. With the mods I had it ran in the low 14’s with a 60ft times in the 1.6 sec range.

Fun car if you have the money and some else to work on it. I think the drive train would make a get car in a 2700 lb hot rod !!!!!!!

well the stealth R/T TT is the same as a VR4..

also they had 320hp on the later versions.

the whole idea about them being very heavy is some what true and some what not.

ive seen stook ones weigh in at 3400, all the way to 3800.

some even said lower then 3400 but i doubt that.

they had alot of things that made them so heavy.

like active aero packages, adjustable exhaust sound thingy (lol), 4 wheel steering, AWD.

the 1999 is BY FAR the best looking one, and man i want one.

i almost bought a 1997 VR4 and wish i did... it was clean as hell and real fast.

some say they are RWD with rear wheel asisst on the later models.

badass cars though.

mike

Guest Phailure
It weighed in at almost 4000lbs' date=' but could do 13 sec 1/4 mile stock. [/quote']

:shock:

From my understanding... I think the coupes weighed around 3400 or so and the convertibles weighed closer to 3800

The curb weight for the manual fwd v6 model is at 3270lbs. The curb weight for a manual tranny vr4 is 3760 lbs. That awdrivetrain and transfer case is what added in extra 500 lbs.

The reason the vr4/rt tt was cool was because it was a geek's techno dream. You could adjust the exhaust, aerodynamics, etc, all with touch of buttons. Of course, this resulted in a heavier car with more things prone to breaking.

Aux i no what ur saying but ive seen ppl weigh there VR4's and its been around 3400.. ive also seen around 3800.

ive heard it could be different for different years.. im not sure.

when i was tolling around there internet forums they had a hugh thread about the weight.. and ppl said that there cars weighed in about 2400lbs too.

mike

I spent a small amount of time in a vr4, great looking car, it had good power but it just didn't feel very inspiring. Torque steer was rediculous if you drop the hammer at low speeds, also I am not going to say the car handled bad, I slammed around some serious corners but it just didn't feel nimble at all. Car was capable but everything was violent and felt strenous for the car if that makes any sense. I wouldn't buy one but I don't dislike them, the one I drove sounded GREAT when it was working hard! I hear they tend to spend quite a bit of time in the shop tho..