HybridZ

T-Tops For 280Z

DatsunATX

I think I have heard about it being done, but not without a virtually redo of the entire roof top and lines.

However.............I do have photos of a buddy's 77 280Z based convertible with custom body kit (Tomahawk Z) and matching custom top which shows 280ZX T Tops integrated into 280Z windshield and door body lines so skillfully that you can barely believe that they are not factory manufactured to fit the 280Z body.

DCP_0251rw1.jpg

To feast your eyes on a custom piece of car art, go to this URL at my ZPARTS.COM to see larger views of above image and another.

http://www.zparts.com/showcase/tomahawk/docs/news.html

To wet your appetite even more someday, I'll post up a set of photos of a customer's 77 280Z that appears to have a "factory" installed, internally retractable, moon roof section built into it that you'd swear that it could have been only constructed at the Nissan factory itself. Truely amazing, but story ends there because customer has no records as to how or why that 280Z has such a thing built into it or by who or what company.

Enjoy

I did alot of looking around about this myself, some time ago.

I found that someone thought that a roof graft from a t-bar ZX would work. I don't know about that.

Tha toughest part will be the weatherstripping of the glass top as well as the roof glass at the door.

In my searching, I found kits to convert all kinds of GM cars to t tops. All very pricey.

If you can find a donor car with good rubber stuff, then you are pretty well off.

The only thing that I could add is, take a look at the convertible conversion kits fot the Z. Then mimic the body reinforcement strategy for the t-bar car. I am sure that others will chime in about the potential body flex.

If you can weld, you can do this project.

I can't stress enough how much you want to really do your research here... This car is thin wall steel in the first place. So take care in putting sub-frames and the other mods to stiffen the chassis. I sold the roof out of one Zcar to a guy whose son bought a "Targa" converted Z taht was BOWING in the middle due to lack of support... The car sagged about 6 inches at the roof line...

They welded in my donor roof and that was the end of it...

Mike 8)

I'm sorry if this offends, but it just seems to me that if T-Tops are that important to you, then get a ZX. Its easier, and the car is designed for it.

Granted, I am a ZX man myself. :-D

No offense taken I just prefer to do the custom work myself.Im about to go to UTI in Houston in june of next year, I know that sounds like a long time away but Im only 17 so that is a big thing for me.This will be MY CAR so what ever it takes Im gonna make it happen. This will be the most custom car in my book,Im doing alot of very trick things to my car.There is about 6 people working together on this 3 are UTI graduates. so it will happen no matter how hard, I dont know about 90% of the teen population but Im ready to go after my dreams. :2thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Jason mentioned that I've had it done to my '78. The ZX roof is the right width, but the angles on the Z windshield are much different from the ZX windshield - you'll have to fabricate the entire channel at the top and rails to use the original windshield. You'll also have to graft the ZX roof into the rear of the Z roof to avoid the scalloped portion of the ZX roof.

I would not recommend any of the aftermarket kits for an early z, if you could even find one floating around anymore. I saw one years ago and it looked like crap - too flimsy. There is absolutely nothing to the stock z roof - scary once it is cut out and you see how little is there. The ZX roof is much heavier, much sturdier (double wall).

When I did it, I cut the roof off a junkyard ZX getting the wiring harness and all the A pillar along with all the door rubber. The wiring is easy; the z's a pillar plastic trim and rear roof trim require some modification. Used the ZX headliner, mirror, front windshield trim, visors. We pulled the window channel out of the z doors and tilted the window glass inwards for a very nice fit on the ZX rubber.

The guy who did if for me said he'd never do it again, but it turned out very well.

Thanks Lee for your post. This idea has been kicking around here for a while. It's nice to hear from someone who has actually done it. Things are not as easy as they seem on paper (or in the mind).

Can you tell us, did you do any frame reinforcement to the car? And did you have any twisting or racking problems with the tops?

Given the complexities of fitting all the necessary parts for t-tops I've thought that a targa top ala 911 would be easier to do on an S30.

Thanks again Lee. Oh course, we'd all love to see some pics!

i don't know how to post a pic - forgive my ignorance; Jason is going to try to post one for me. As far as frame reinforcement, none was done except for tying the roof posts well down into the A pillar. I've done several track events and had no major problems with twisting that I know of. There is one tiny crack just coming out of the rubber on the driver's side A pillar that I've been watching for several years - hasn't gotten any worse since I noticed it.

Stopped by to see the car one day right after the guy had cut the roof off - made me sick to my stomach! Glad he knew what he was doing. I have a couple of pictures from that stage, but they are absolutely buried somewhere. Did this conversion back in late '90/early '91.

• 3 years later...

There use to be a company out of LA that made T-Tops for the 1st gen Z cars. I am sure there are still some people out there that remember them and might even know how to find a set. I had a Yellow 240Z that I bought with them already installed. One suggestion do not take hard turns with them not in the car because they will never fit the same again. About 3 years ago there was a place that I ran across north on I45 some place near the woodlands or Conroe area that had a lot of Z cars in the front yard and all around their house. They had a 76 Z with the same T-Tops in it. Chances are they still have all those cars because for a basically trashed out and non-running Z they wanted to much money (1800) when I went there.

My wife and I installed a power sun roof with a role up screen that seems to work very well with no leaks or structural losses. Just a idea for thought

• 1 year later...

I personally do not like the sunroofs in a z car, that is why I want a t=op in my 280z as well. If I do get t-tops in my 280z wil l Ibe able to auto-x it, and will a rb26dett twist the frame if it makes over 500hp at the wheels? If I can't auto-x my 280z with t-tops then I will just find a 280zx and go from there.

I personally do not like the sunroofs in a z car, that is why I want a t=op in my 280z as well. If I do get t-tops in my 280z wil l Ibe able to auto-x it, and will a rb26dett twist the frame if it makes over 500hp at the wheels? If I can't auto-x my 280z with t-tops then I will just find a 280zx and go from there.

Super old post 8P