HybridZ

Where to get a V8?

Hi guys.. I recently purchased a '71 240Z 4spd and have the intention of dropping in a 350/5spd according to the JTR manual.

now, my question is, where can I get a 350 for cheap? I don't want to build one up from scratch and I don't want to spend thousands on a totally modified crate motor. The best deal I've found so far is $881 at Kragen, plus a $350 core charge. However, if I do that, I have to send away my six and I won't get all of the core charge back.

any ideas? Thanks.

First off, I'd think the core charge for an L-6 would be higher than a 350.

Anyway, you might want to look at a known remanufacturer like http://www.jasperengines.com/frames.html . I'd bet Kragen's uses the cheapest remanufacturer they can find. I doubt teh quality would be high, but maybe o.k.

There are some fairly cheap ($1289) crate motors from GM, e.g. http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=prod_detail&catid=128&pid=110 I'd feel better going with one of them. Of course, the bang for the buck one is the ZZ4, but you need over $3000 to play that game.

Another option is check out the local speed shops and machine shops. Sometimes people have a motor built and can't pay the bill and the machine shop is willing to let them go for reasonable prices. This way you can get a warranty that can be enforced locally and be dealing with the engine builder directly.

Hope that helps,

------------------

Pete Paraska - 73 540Z - Marathon Z Project - pparaska@home.com">pparaska@home.com -

Guest Anonymous

Nion, I recomend staying away from Cheaker/Kragen for a motor. We got a 5.0 ford from them for a customers truck & had it lose the oil pump after only a few thousand miles. By the time we were able to fix it the motor was junk. It ran but had several knocks. For an inexpensive motor I recomend a factory G.M. crate motor. For about $1500 you get a complete new long block & there's no core charge. They offer one for newer p/u's that has Vortec heads that should be good for at least 250 h.p. It requires a new style intake but Edelbrock offers a Performer R.P.M. manifold that will work. The intake is also avalable from G.M. but I think its the Edelbrock (they look the same) at an inflated price. Both accept a 4 brl carb.

Glenn

all fine info above, if budget is 'truly' small right now (I progressively built mine over 4yrs running 99% of the time) I would buy a powertrain from a early 90's TPI camaro, you'll benefit greatly from all the accessories (brackets/bolts/dizzy/starter etc etc etc) and can later bump to a bigger motore if you like, you can even carb the above motor if you want initially (intakes and carbs are cheap 2nd hand, less than 1/2 new and carbs are easy to kit out, I think a new carb owner/installer should have a carb book anyhow for dialing it in).

Lots of options, if you can part with the money I'd go new or from a known local reliable source for a recently build/barely used etc. Not sure if you've written up a full budget, powertrain can be as low as 50-70% of initial cost if rest of car is already maintained (ie. susp. is good etc), or can be even less. (I hate seeing people snowed by 'false budgets and abandoning projects)

• 1 year later...
Guest Power_Slave

The fact that you guys are recommending him to pay 1500 for a friggin factory crate making a measley 250hp is beyond me.

Go to a junk yard, find a motor. You can get complete runners making around 350hp for 500 if you look around enough. Sure beats paying 1500 for a factory crate that was probably built by a guy named Dwayne and makes less power.

I did an engine swap into a 3rd gen camaro and the new motor made around 360hp and the whole project cost 150 bucks. I challenge you to repeat the process.

Regards,

PowerSlave

Guest Anonymous

I'm with Powerslave. My Tomahawk project has an excellant non oil burning donar 1973 Monte Carlo with 350 SBC and Edelbrock package bought for $450.00 and still running but the wife will not be seen in it.There are all kinds of motors out there in running cars that you can try out and that you can buy cheap. I am finding a lot of the old chev vans have 350 SBC s with 4 barrell carbs.Only the homeless tweekers want these now. The Camaros are usually over priced and have 305 s. The wrecked or damaged Chey pickups are a cornicopa of after market parts on the engines.(After Copenhagen and Bud, the rest of the pay check goes for the truck)Yes I would buy a crate motor if I had the money but these are tuff times even tho everyone is in denial about the economy.Tow companies around my area have an overflow of abandoned vehicles for sale dumped on the street since the former owners have headed to better parts unknown looking for that elusive job..

Well I've seen guys build cheap motors and have them last forever because they aren't romping on them, even though to them, they are. I've also seen expensive 383 strokers pull less than 350HP on the dyno, but be built to last forever...

It boils down to what the individual wants... I spent $3600 on a crate motor that lasted 3000 miles. But it made good power until I screwed with the carb.

As for the "Being Frigging Crazy" part, lets remember that not everyone here can turn a wrench, and paying $1500 for 250-300 RELIABLE horsepower is MORE than reasonable to someone who isn't THAT savy with a torque wrench and a place to build a motor...

It's all relative guys... Lets keep in focus here...

Mike Kelly

Admini twak.gif strator

Guest 2002sentraSER

where would i find a 350 w/ at least 275hp ad 320 torque with all the fixings to run it right away for less than 1500 dollars with the core charge

Guest Anonymous

I would like to make a point about cheap crate motors. I was given this 350 SBC crate motor that reportedly spun a rod bearing. Later when I obtained Moretec's SBC casting #'s, I discovered all kinds of mismatched parts on this cheap crate motor like the cylinder heads: one was a 75 cc chamber and the other was 80 cc chamber. and I will bet every thing is either bored or ground .060 over if it needed it or not.

Yup, my pistons were supposed to be a higher end casting and I ended up with CLAIMER pistons... I paid a large amount for the roller valve train, aluminum heads, aluminum intake, four bolt block, decent crank and a few other bits and pieces that I ended up being able to use. Bottom line is you get what you pay for, but I suspect there are a few good crate builders out there, but you better get it in writing before you sign on the line and spend your money... I had $3600 total in the package and they DID screen the block and paint it as asked, and they did use ARP bolts, just not THE RIGHT ARP bolts... Remember, ARP makes CRAP stuff, and they make good stuff... Now I have an additional $800 in forged rods and pistons/ rings, and I'll probably have an additional $400-600 in the rest of balancing and then more parts to get it back together...

Mike rolleyesg.gif

I guess I have always considered crate motors to be newly manufactured engines from one of the big three. Everything else is just everything else.

Keep in mind, complete LT1 motors typically sell for $1500 on ebay whereas a $1500 "crate" motor is typically going to take another $1500 in parts (starter, carb, exhaust, ignition, brackets, alternator, etc. etc. etc.) to make a running product.

Guest Anonymous

I sure wish I could find $500 350HP small blocks. Where are you finding those? I am doubting that you find the 350hp LT-1 engines in junkyards for $500.

Mike

Guest Anonymous

Mike , you are right there are no 350 HP LT 1's going for $500.00 in the junk yards. My friend Ocbaar has a line on a private party with a SBC 350 with tranny out of a 83 Malibu for an asking price of $400.00 but will offer $150.00 to start.A person has to do some aggressive searching and some aggressive bargaining.

This is an old old topic, I think I spent about $1500 as well for a local engine builder to build my small block. The charge for the engine itself was $1100 including the assembly, basic balancing, damper and forged pistons but I had him install a cam, roller rockers, and valve springs that I spent $400 on elsewhere so that brought the total up. Then you add intake manifold, carb, distributor, headers, etc etc etc...

Guest Anonymous

I agree with the term above of 'crate' motor. The first 'crate' motor I knew of was the chevy targetmasters, the goodwrench and the performance motors with new blocks and all new parts with 0 miles on them with a guarantee is what I consider a crate motor, the big three all have them ranging from 12xx.00 to 6-8,000.00 bucks for a big block (or more for like a Hemi).

The motors your refering to by kragen, autozone are rebuilt and they are cheap for a reason, if you saw the cats building them you'd understand why, these aren't trained technicians per se, but cheaply paid mechanics that could GAF about it really.

Thanks Mike for pointing out that some of us are not 'friggin crazy' and some of us that use them (crate motors) can swing a wrench with the best of them, we just have different priorities and uses of our cars and in some cases as mine, a time deadline that doesn't allow years to build the car up and as Mike pointed out people need to respect that.

IMHO theres been way to much of that lately on this site and its disrespectful, if you have a opinion state it as such, clearify why things 'suck' and not just that they do, otherwise your IMHO more suited to Zcar.com than Hybridz.org. Thanks.

Regards,

Lone

Guest Anonymous

How did the quote, "a frigging factory crate"by another member get misinterpreted to read "being frigging crazy"? I have re-read this entire thread and I cannot find the original quote "being frigging crazy". Is it the heat, full moon or what? LOL I am on here for education and entertainment and sometimes, just sometimes my odd perception may help someone a little.

I think Lone pretty much summed up the general consesus here... Everyone has an opinion and how it is expressed is the issue.

As I pointed out to someone else earlier today guys, we're all here because we want to be. This site is a free service... Those who take their time to run it and keep it orderly have the rights to call the shots... They don't have to make sense to you, as long as you keep in mind that it isn't free speach.

Would I personally spend $1500 on 250HP? Heck no. Would I tell another member that "I CAN'T believe he recommended that someone else do it???" NO. If you can't see the difference, then there in lies the problem.

As Lone said, those types of comments are better left for the list of other sites quoted to me by the member who made the above remarks. It won't fly here, Period. It is not an option. Sorry for...Actually, no I'm not sorry for the hard stance. It is what it is, and it is what has been the corner stone, the very foundation of this site.

enough said...

Mike Kelly nono.gif

Opinions are like, well, you know. But just becuase you hava strong opinion doesn't mean you get to throw dispersions one someone for having a different one. Realizing that and acting on it is call: Common Courtesy.

I'm really disappointed in this thread and other stuff related to it. The real problem lies in the situation that we can't all agree on what's civil and whats too aggressive for language. (I don't care about spelling guys, I'm on hour 11 at work today with more to go.)

Bottom line. The moderators and administrators have last say on what goes and what's too agressive of a post. We police it, we judge, and we lay down the sentencing. VERY far from a democracy, but nobody EVER said this was a democratic site. People shooting from their keyboards are too hard and expensive to consult with, investigate, hold court, and put in jail - our budget is next to zero, so you get none of those bennies.

I'm very disappointed...

Back to work.

I would like to add that, Some of those 500.00 junkyard engines could easily be from one of the budget rebuild shops. I personally would rather have a crate engine with 0 mi on it, rather than a junk yard engine that could have had the crap run out of it since the first time it was fired up. My opinion anyway. For a high performance application, I would have to go through a jy engine before I would risk putting it in. So for the wear and tear and extra labor vs the cost of a crate with a warrantee, the average guy without the tools or experience might be better with the crate. I personally have the tools and experience so I would build my own.

"Different strokes for different folks" ;)