HybridZ

poylurethane bushings

ok heres the deal i have a hole workshop full of goodies sitting on the property, my pas engineering business, one brainwave i have last night is this, on the lathe i sumtimes use polyurethane chunks, big round cylinders of it to create wheels and bushings, if i got the right compound would it be worth making my own bushings , for say suspension and sway bars, etc? or since the suspension plays a major part, is it not worth the risk? id really like to try it, since im in NZ parts and shipping are very pricey(in my opinion) if you think itd be to dangerous , please let me no, and why

thanks

Cameron

My old boss had a side business making Delrin bushings for 944 swaybars, because the power steering leaks right onto the rubber bushings and destroys them, especially passenger side.

He and a machinist made an aluminum mold and injected the Delrin. It was a low pressure deal, not a high pressure mold. The problem they had was determining the correct hardness of Delrin to use.

I would think that you would have the same issue. They figured it out through trial and error on the boss's car. You might have to do the same.

Jon

cool thanks, yeah i think ill just go trial and error , obviously do a little bit of measuring, unless of course anyone has for some peculair reason the measurements for 280zx bushings, umm so if i get the right compound noone thinks ill have to much trouble, with breakage, since im doin it on the lathe.

You can get raw material at McMaster Carr. They even list tensile strength and things like that

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Quite a few people have machined bushings because sometimes the ones you get with the kits don't quite fit. If you search through the old archives, there are a couple of places that sell complete kits for Z's significantly cheaper than MSA or VB. Might be more cost effective since you will have to pay shipping to NZ for the McMaster-Carr stuff anyway.