HybridZ

creative engine lifting task

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Here's a task for anyone who thinks they are creative...

I have an engine in my storage facility that I need to get onto an engine stand. The problem is that right now it is sitting on a tire on the ground and there isnt nearly enough room to get a hoist or anything in there to lift it onto a stand. Anyone ever lifted an engine onto a stand without a hoist?

How many guys would it take to lift a big block Olds engine? :D

4 guys.

Bolt two chains to the engine, one from the font (side to side), on on the rear (side to side). Put a 6 foot pole through each chain. Bolt the engine stand mount to the engine. One gut on each side of each pole. Lift and slide into engine stand.

Tim

I have done it with a 403. What I did was use two rachet straps over the rafter. One to the front and one to the rear of the engine and then just crank the rachet straps to lift the engine. It takes some time and I had to stop once and put the motor on a small stack of tires to reset the straps. I did this with the small 1" straps that people use to strap things down in a pickup. I did this first to unload my truck and put the engine on a tire and then later to put the engine on a stand.

How TOUGH are you? I`ve done it by myself before.

I am in awe. :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

Once you break the plane' date=' be sure to put one foot ahead of the rear wheel on the stand to keep it from rolling away.[/quote']

ROFLOL!!!! That paints SUCH a picture! Sounds like something I'd do, too.

When I brought my engine home I had a similar problem. The engine was in the bed of the truck, four feet off the ground, and I was by myself. The only thing I could think to do was to let ALL the air out of the rear tires, then slide the engine back to a point I could bolt the hoist to it. If I'd been thinking straight, I'd have done what the guys suggest and do that FIRST, then put the attachment plate onto the stand.

It worked, but boy it was a pain in the ass. Big mudder tires take a looooong time to deflate.

I DIDN`T mean to just bear hug it and throw it in the truck. :D

What I did was, bolt the engine stand to the back of the engine with the engine on its side.

I made sure that the pivot bolt was tight on the stand and kinda used the front leg of the stand as a lever to help roll the engine onto its back.

With the pivot shaft/pipe of the stand setting on the ground and the front leg of the stand as well as the front of the engine sticking straight up.

This gives plenty of room under the engine to get a good hold on the arms of the stand that bolt to the engine.(they make great handles) Then "just" lift.

You will know immediately if you can do it or not. Then as I said before... When you break the plane, or just as the engine starts to roll forward put one foot in front of the rear wheel to keep it from rolling away.

This also serves the purpose of getting you more centered under the weight.

I`m NOT suggesting that you do this if you have any doubts about your ability, because once you start to lift there are only two directions the engine is going. UP or DOWN :shock:

Also... this description will show just how I did it for those that thought I was kidding or exagerating. :wink:

BTW, I am 6' and 220 and I`m very used to heavy manual labor. If you are not in similiar condition, DON`T even consider trying to do this.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Hmm, I think I am going to try putting it onto something with wheels like JKDGabe and then roll it out to where I have more room. I dont think I have enough room to get some buddies in to help me, and I dont have any buddies around that could help me anyways, now that I think about it.

Maybe I can put it on a creeper for a strength test :D

Denny's a farm boy. Farm boys find interesting ways of doing things. Brute force or heavy equipment is often involved. A tractor with front end loader makes a great hoist, ladder, scaffold, jack, fork lift, fence puller, etc. :D

Not that this helps any, but I have successfully carried a bare L6 engine block several hundred feet by myself. :shock: I've also carried many V-dub air-cooled (magenesium) cases around, but still have a scar on my right leg to this day since I dropped on from improperly securing it to the engine stand where it nearly landed on my foot scraping my leg in the process.

I guess the moral of my story is that even though you COULD lift it by yourself somehow doesn't necessarily mean you SHOULD lift it by yourself. It would be far safer for both you and the block if someone else was around to help.