HybridZ

anybody got any connections or know anything about laptops?

Guest ON3GO

hey guys im looking for a laptop for myself as my desktop computer is slow and sucks..

anyways money is tight but it would be a present to myself for X-mas.

anyways heres what i want.

something thats fast enough.. like 512MB of memory, over a 2.0 GHz, and 40GB hard drive.

want XP home, and also want a few USB ports so i can use my external floppy drive and etc.. i would like a internal CD-RW/DVD player in it also.

anybody know of any good computers out there for not a price higher then what i have spent on my Z! lol.

prob around the $1400 range?

anybody really know alot about laptops and computers or maybe even own a computer shop?

thanks

mike

Check out CompUSA, Best Buy, Circuit City, etc. after Christmas. They should all have some open-box units you could get. Usually about 50% off, too. I got mine another way, but a friend bought a Toshiba ($2000) for about $800. had everything but cd-rw.

You could probably get all the stuff you want, exept I'm not sure you can get 512 Mb ram or a 40Gb HD.

Dell is alao advertising laptops starting at $800 I think.

Stay away from Gateway.

I would also check IBM's web site to see what kind of system you can get for that price. The ThinkPads are very nice systems and I've found IBM's customer service to be exceptional. I bought an IntelliStation off eBay and had some minor broken parts on the case. I called IBM to order them. I was actually talking to a person within 5 minutes, no extended phone menu navigation. It turned out the system was still under warantee and even though I wasn't the original purchaser they honored it and shipped all the parts I asked for free of charge. Try getting that kind of service from DELL, Gateway or HP, not gonna happen.

The company I work for has several older Compaq laptops that just won't die. They are part the HP now so I don't know about the quality or service. We also have DELLs and have had lots of problems with them.

The other thing I would suggest is stay away from the home consumer models and pay a little extra to get a business class machine, the quality is higher and the serive is usually better. This also applies to the version of Windows you get, pay the extra for XP Pro, it provides some networking capabilities you may find you want.

Ken W.

I have one of the sony vaio ones, it was a desktop replacement one for me (going to college and not driving) so I got the biggest screen they had (16") and as fast as I could afford (1.6ghz). This was a little over a 18 months ago, but it still works great and is fast enough to run -almost- anything I want.

Check the DELL refurb section. If you don't mind refurbs that is...

I think you get all the warranty and support from dell as if u bought a brand new comp from them.

if u get a 2.0 or above..please don't get celeron :D

Guest Phailure

Try this:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx?c=us&cs=19&id=advertised_inspn&l=en&s=dhs

The inspiron 5150 has:

p4m 3.06 (I like centrinos more but you dont have much of a choice in the matter)

15in SXGA+ (1400x1050 res mmm i like)

XP home (upgrade to pro $70)

512ram

60gig hd

32mb gf vid card

cd-rw/dvd combo drive

all for $1299 but use 74CFDF9744C6 (expires tonight) to get another $100 off which basically cancels out with the 70 you add on for xp pro.

The laptop is around 7lbs... not the lightest thing out there but the price is hard to beat considering all the features and dell quality.

Oh yea, could try this one too.

Dell 8600

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?oc=8600SAP&cs=19&dgvcode=ss&c=US&l=EN

1.4ghz centrino with 15.4in WXGA screen (1280x800)

with xp pro, 512mb ram, 40gig hd, it comes out to 1700 - 200 mail in rebate - 100 with the same coupon mentioned earlier = 1400

free shipping for the 8600 atleast, not sure about the 5150. Dell home doesnt collect tax for most states. The coupon is for 100 off any inspiron laptop over $1499 so if you make it cheaper, you wont be able to use it... and it expires tonight... but im sure another one will roll around soon enough if you wait. Hope that helps.

Edit:

oh oops... i guess you didnt want xp pro so then you could 70 off both, but I highly recommend getting xp pro instead. BTW, i personally have not had any problems with my Dell laptop but I will admit that IBM probably makes nicer laptops. Ofcourse, IBM will cost you a couple hundred more. That and IBM keyboards have the fn button at the very left instead of ctrl (very annoying).

Ya know mike..... maybe if you hadn't spent sooooo much on that car of yours you could afford a supercomputer!!!! :D

Did that sound like a parent type? I'm practicing. :D

Someday I will have to explain to my boys why it's allright for me to spend all my cash on cars, parts, booze, etc... While they need to save their money for the future. :shock:

Haven't figured it out yet.

Laptops are hard to buy because upgrading is difficult if not impossible. For the amount you are going to spend on a decent laptop you could build three awesome desktops....Kinda like cars!!!

Rufus

Guest Phailure

By the way, I would recommend getting a desktop if possible. They are faster and much cheaper than laptops. Only get a laptop if you really have to. For example, I built my current PC for under 1k in August and it has p4 2.6c, abit is7, 1gig corsair xms 3700, 120gig hd, radeon 9700, etc. I really dont think you could get a laptop that could match the performance of my pc for even 3 times the price that I paid.

ofcourse... if you got standalone or something... thad be a pretty good reason to buy a laptop :twisted:

hmmm...I work at Office Depot. You wouldnt think that Office Depot sells computers, but we do....and for cheap too. I could get you a 2.2 Athlon with 512MB DDR RAM/40 gig HD/CD-RW/DVD drive for closer to $1000. We have some good deals. Try this site http://www.techdepot.com. As mentioned before, desktops are still better. Also, as suggested before, I would wait until after the holidays....but a little bit longer after the holidays. Athlon and Apple both have produced a 64-bit machine (while the computers we are on right now are 32-bit). Once the 64-bit machine hits the market, all the 32-bit machines are going to become super cheap. Just a thought. Let us know what you decide.

I only recommend IBM ThinkPads. IBM is still the best at Tech Support. I wouldn't touch any other brand. I've gotten at least 50 for clients and have never had a complaint. A few have had problems, but the service is the best you could ask for.

- Joe

I'm sure you are aware that you will get more for your money in a desktop. Like this listed @ Tech Bargains:

Budget Desktop 2.53Ghz $399

Fast and cheap!

Dimension 2400 Desktop P4-2.53Ghz 128MB/Free 80GB HD, 48x CDWriter, Free Office 2003 Basic, Ethernet, XP Home $499 - $100 rebate = $399 shipped free.

Click Outrageous Deal $399 in middle left box, Customize it on left config, Select ISP

However, check their web site often http://www.techbargains.com/ as they usually list some great deals. They often have excellent coupon codes as well.

oh i know i could get more in a desktop, but i have one already and need a laptop also for my EMS in the Z... plus having it wireless would be nice... look at stuff on EBAY while going to the bathroom :)

mike

If you do go wireless make sure to enable the WIFI security. Only get an 802.11g card, they have the security features where as the earlier ones didn't.

We got my boss a ThinkPad that had wireless built in. We don't have a wireless net in the office so I disabled it but he turned it on by accident at home and it turned out that a neighbor somewhere close was running un-secured WIFI. To make a long story short, my boss tapped into the neighbor's network and started receiving email without dialing in. Needless to say he got real worried and I had to shut off the wireless again and lock it out so he can't mess with it.

Just a word of caution. I'm a part-time network administrator for our company so I'm a little paranoid about un-secured connections to the internet.

Ken W.

I'm a part-time network administrator for our company so I'm a little paranoid about un-secured connections to the internet.

Ken W.

The average user has no clue what someone with some knowledge can do with an unsecure wireless connection.

Wireless is great technology, but beware what the salesperson doesn`t tell you (or know them self).

Find some tech folks and ask lots of ?`s.

Guest bang847

Hot! DellSB - Inspiron 1100 Laptop with 2.3Ghz Processor, 256MB DDR SDRAM, 20GB HD, DVD/CD-RW Combo, 14.1" TFT, and more for $599 after Rebate with FREE Shipping! (Posted by: Brian)

I have no idea when they are going to pull this so you guys better hurry up on this deal, but this is the lowest price ever for an Inspiron 1100 laptop! You get a fast 2.3Ghz Celeron, 14.1" TFT, 256MB DDR SDRAM, 20GB HD, 24x CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive, 10/100 NIC, 56k modem, Windows XP Home, 1 Year warranty, and more!

Start here at Dell Small Business. DELLSB

Click on Outrageous Deals under Shopping Alternatives there along the right side of the page

Click on Customize It under Inspiron 1100 for $599

Click on Customize It under Inspiron 1100 for $599

All of the options for the lowest possible cost should already be selected. Upgrade whatever you want, though it will raise the total price. Here are some suggestions:

TrueMobile 1300 802.11b/g PC Card [add $49 or $1/month1]

94Whr Lithium Ion Primary Battery [add $29] Dell Recommended (Gives you longer battery life!)

Scroll to the bottom and click on Continue

Scroll to the bottom and click on Continue

Scroll to the bottom and click on Add to cart

Finish checking out. Shipping is free. Send in the $250 mail in rebate (unknown expiration date).

Check out Gotapex.com daily. plenty of laptops under 900

Guest bang847

actually i tapped into my neighbor's wireless connection..

but it isnt true that only 802.11g has protection.

i use 802.11b and it can enable up to 256bit encryption.

most cards go up to 128bit which is plenty of security already. (especially if you want to surf ebay on the toilet.)

Guest Phailure
actually i tapped into my neighbor's wireless connection..

but it isnt true that only 802.11g has protection.

i use 802.11b and it can enable up to 256bit encryption.

most cards go up to 128bit which is plenty of security already. (especially if you want to surf ebay on the toilet.)

right, both 802.11b and g have encryption... it just so happens that g is faster