HybridZ

Retrofit Hydraulic roller Cam

Guest plainswolf

Guest plainswolf

If one has all of the retrofit valve-train system, except the cam itself, on an older engine, would that enable you to use most any hydraulic roller cam?

Such as the ZZ3 cam?(from the ZZ4 and fastburn 385 engines).

The reason I ask is because on DD2000 it produces some pretty incredible numbers over other hydraulic rollers. It's specs are 208/221 Dur. and .474/510 lift @.050

Guest plainswolf

Thanks corZette!

I would be pretty sure I could, as long as I had the rest of the retrofit system, but it's always good to double-check.. I'll do that, call the company and confirm..

RE: The ZZ4 cam, my friend has the ZZ4 motor with that exact cam installed. He has a Gold 1974 Jenson-Healy and it weighs 2700 lbs, without him in it. The tranny is a 700r4 and 3.55 9 inch ford rearend.

He runs 12.40's all day long and can smoke the tires till they say uncle.

Mike

look at this dyno graph, it is from a 355 running a very restricted exhaust,once he corrects that with headers he will get much better high rpm power

torque.jpg

both the zz3 and zz4 cams are not ideal ,they seriously lack the duration necessary to make good hp/tq

the dyno above showes a CROWER #00471 hydrolic roller in a 355 engine with 11:1 compression, for a 355 its a killer combo with over 530 ft lbs of tq,yet because its got a resticted exhaust power falls off quickly

that cam in an 11:1 cpr 406 has made more than 500hp and 500tq over a very wide rpm range

compression,headflow and cam timing must match, the 11:1 cpr and the crower #00471 cam are well matched, yet the engine should be also matched to other components that allow a 2700-6400rpm operating range

heres the CROWER CAM

http://www.crower.com/misc/cam_spec/cam_finder.php?part_num=00471&x=34&y=7

heres the CRANE CAM I RUN

http://dab7.cranecams.com/SpecCard/DisplayCatalogCard.asp?PN=119661&B1=Display+Card

the differance is my tq curve comes in faster but starts to drop off slightly by 6000rpm wher the crower grind can potentially add about 400rpm to the curve but loose that same 400rpm lower down where the CRANE grind starts

both the chevy cams start to fall off badly bt 5500rpm but have slightly better low rpm tq

Be advised that the retrofit hydraulic roller lifters are expensive as hell! I think around $400+! from Comp cams....also make sure they dont sell you stuff that is being discontinued. They have done that crap to me twice, once on KB106 pistons and again on the rollers.....be aware when you order to ask the questions...

Terry

Guest plainswolf

Yes they are quite pricey indeed...

one other question, I'm almost sure that there is an adapter kit to fit an older crankshaft(2 peice rear seal) into a one peice rear seal block?

Be very careful when selecting the cam type while running Desktop Dyno.

If you select "roller", it assumes a very agressive lift curve, more agressive than many street roller cams. Be sure to read the Desktop Dyno manual on cam selection - http://www.motionsoftware.com/downloads/Dyno2000310.pdf

Page 73.

There, you'll see that you should probably be selecting "Hydraulic Flat-Tappet" or "Solid Flat-Tappet" for street oriented roller cams.

The result of selecting the "Roller" cam for a street roller will be that you will see more HP and TQ in the output then will really result from the use of the cam in reality.

Like they say - computer simulations always follow the rule "Garbage in, Garbage out".