HybridZ

240mm flywheel 6 bolt pp and 9 bolt pp

mobythevan

After going to several junkyards and not finding a 240mm flywheel 9 bolt pp for my car it was obvious that 240mm flywheels with a 6 bolt pressure plate are very common and cheap. I actually have one that I had bought a while back. One junkyard talked to me for a while and said that the 6 bolt 240mm flywheel came in pickups, pathfinders, etc. They also said that this flywheel is listed as a service replacement for 280zx turbo cars.

So that brings up several questions. If I buy a pressure plate and clutch to use one of these more common 240mm flywheels on my T-5 tranny to L28 combo, what clutch fork and throwout bearing sleeve would I use? I am not familiar with the trannies that came in trucks. I wonder what Nissan used if this really was a service replacement flywheel? Also, would it be cheap or easy to just have the shop machine the other 3 bolt holes to use the 9 bolt pp. This assumes that the locating pins and other 6 bolt holes align. Or just don't use the other three bolts? I wish I had a pressure plate to check this out.

The 240mm flywheel with 6 pp bolts probably weighes more because it was intended for truck applications, that doesn't bother me right now.

I'm interested in the correct answer to this also. I used the truck 240mm flywheel with ACT clutch kit for the 280zx turbo on a NA tranny. I used the ZX fork and every thing was working fine until recently. When the car is running, I can't get it in gear. Changed the MC and slave but it didn't help any.

i used the 9bolt pp and flywheel for 240mm, works good

i didnt know about the trucks flywheel.

I would use stock throwout bearing hub and fork from t5 on it, should be fine.

im using a spec stage 2 turbo clutch with kevlar disk and hd pp, works well, pressure is lighter or same than stock, but grabs very very well, and is more slippable than a puck. i did have to make some pedal and freeplay adjustments to make it work right though, worked out well though.

At the time I installed it, I did not realize there was a 9 bolt and a 6 bolt version. I guess I just didn't use the extra bolts cause I didn't do anything special to the flywheel. The pins lined up perfectly.

I remember posts where the stock fork bent under the higher pressure of a racing type pressure plate. Have you had a chance yet to make sure the fork didn't bend?

That's what I need to check next. That might be it because there are no weird noises coming from the tranny. Is there a way to check the fork without dropping the tranny?

BayArea,

Check the fork and make sure it didn't split where the pivot is. I've seen it happen a bunch of times with aftermarket heavier clutches. Never seen one bend, but I suppose that is possible too. Sorry Moby about hijacking your post.

I think you can check by pulling the rubber seal around the fork off and shining a flashlight into the bell housing.

Jon

I found another post from jt240z and he had verified that both 240mm flywheels have the same pin locations and bolt hole pattern, just that the truck flywheel didn't have the middle 3 pressure plate bolts and didn't have the recessed ring around the friction area. Based on that and Bayarea's setup I am going to go ahead and use the 9 bolt pressure plate with the truck flywheel. I am sure that I have the throw out collar for the T-5, I will get a new pp with the clutch kit. The only thing I don't know for sure is which fork I have. I'll just put it together and if it doesn't work I'll look for a fork from the T-5 setup.

• 4 months later...

I got my ACT 6 puck clutch in and had my truck 240mm flywheel resurfaced. Guess what, the truck flywheel works just fine with the 240mm clutch and pressure plate, it just does not use the extra three center bolts in the pressure plate and does not have the ring around the edge of the friction area. The junkyard was right when they said it was a service replacement. These flywheels come from trucks and pathfinders and are abundant around here, so anyone else that can't find a car 240mm flywheel may want to check into this route.

I was 99.9% sure it would work since BayareaZT is using this, but you never know if someone has a different part.

I haven't driven the car yet, but everything checks out manually so I have no worries. Clutch engages and disengages good. :rockon: