HybridZ

Brake upgrades to fit within 15" wheels?

Anything else out there besides the standard Toyota 4x4 caliper upgrade? A nice aluminum caliper (AP Racing, Brembo, Wilwood, etc...) with an ~11.0" rotor seems like it would do the trick nicely. Any ideas?

I know there are kits out there for bigger wheels, but for those of us who are sticking with 15s, it would be nice if there was an alternative.

Guest Looking for apt in Alb Ny

Hey Gang. its up to you what you want. I need at least 10 people for each item. My main concern was the 12inch Wilwood and am stocking those.

As I have progressed with the brakes I am finding what will work with my 7 inch adapter hats to work with an 11.75 rotor. Since the hats are made already it is the brackets I have to redesign. Going to an 11 inch rotor a 6 inch hat would have to be made. which I am trying to avoid.

I have yet to determine if the my current hat fitted to an 11.75 rotor will fit inside a 15 inch rims with the caliper on. I have a 15 inch enkie rim at my friends place. I will post again when I get some pictures for you.

thanks Juan

I have the JSK Wilwood kit, and I plan on running 16s, but when I get it bolted up I am going to try some 15s I have hanging around. With the Billet NDL caliper, they should fit.

The 15" wheels I have have an inside diameter of 14.5". I f I go by the wilwood mechanical information for the Billet NDL, the outside radius with the 12.19" rotor should be 6.97". This gives you an outside diameter of 13.94". Yea, that's only 0.25" or so between the caliper and wheel, but it still should work.

billet-ndl.jpg

Comments?

Pete

The only thing I don't like about the Wilwoods is lack of a dust seal. For this reason, I'd prefer a set of AP Racing or Brembo's but if there is no alternative then I guess we just have to make do with what's available.

I do know that the 300ZX vented rotor and 4x4 caliper setup fit on my 15x7 Panasport Ultralights. That rotor is 10.8" dia. and the 4x4 caliper is rather bulky by comparison to the Willwood etc....so I'm pretty sure most any system that utilizes a max rotor dia. of ~11.0" should have a good chance of fitting within a 15" wheel.

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=21819&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=105

JohnC says in this thread on page 8 that Outlaw 2800 calipers bolt straight on to a Z housing. The only other thing needed would be proper rotor spacing. John also states in another thread that he is running 11" rotors (couldn't find that one). The 300ZX has 11" rotors, right? Not sure, but I think so. So all that would be needed is a proper offset 11" rotor, which possibly could be a spacer for the 300ZX rotor, and it would be done. Or a Wilwood style rotor with the correct offset aluminum hat.

Just thinking out loud...

EDIT--just saw in previous post 300ZX has 10.8" rotors. Not sure that the .2 inch discrepancy would cause a problem, but it might not seeing as how that's only .1" on the caliper side.

EDIT #2--Here's the thread about rotor size from JohnC:

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=27121&highlight=brakes+outlaw

EDIT #3--In looking at this page: http://www.outlawdiscbrakes.com/2800.html it looks as though almost all of the aftermarket calipers have 3.5" bolt spacing. I think that means that just about any Wilwood caliper would bolt right up to a Z strut. I also checked on the rotors in the Coleman catalog, and John is using .810" thick rotors, which I believe is also the same as the 300ZX

Jon

http://www.wilwood.com/products/calipers/bndlc/index.asp

Another development. The NDL Wilwood caliper has, you guessed it, a .1" shorter height from the bolt holes to the outer edge of the rotor surface. If the Outlaw 2800 works perfectly with an 11" rotor, then the NDL caliper should fit a 10.8" rotor exactly.

I think we're making progress here. Can you tell it was a slow day at work???

Jon

Picture%20430.jpg

Here is my 12.19 Wilwood system inside a 15 inch Enkie rims. Much room to spare still. I am really tired but I will follow more on this. Its 5 30 in the morning. Any question let me know.

I know for a fact that you need 11.38 rotor to fit the Wilwood caliper on stock spindles. I will get you more measurmeants tomorrow. Should there be fitment problems still with the 12.19 rotor you can always use a 11.75 rotor. It uses the same hat (7" x 8 Bolt pattern) as the 12.19 but only the bracket would need modifications. Not much more than that.

Thank you

Juan

This is getting VERY interesting and promising!! :D

I did some quick measurements this weekend on my car. Currently, I have the S12 calipers and stock 240Z rotors with Panasport 15x7 wheels. The rim diameter appears to be ~14.3" +/-1/4" as measured from the front, and the inside rim diameter appears to be about the same.

Juan,

Can you lay a ruler on that setup you have pictured so we can see just how much room there is with that setup? Since the brakes obviously fits in that rim, we could use that as a reference to see just how much room there is to determine what rims will fit and what will not. Also, how much will the caliper protrude towards the face of the rim as compared to a stock 240Z caliper? I don't think this will be a problem, but we should make sure.

Also, if you're selling this as a kit, any idea as to the pricing?

Hello The Wilwood package with 12.19 rotors and caliper shown Superlite 2A measures 12.6" for clearance. The caliper hangs off the hub .6"

I have about 14.5 "inside diameter just laying the ruler down on the Enkie rim.

Hell yea Im using this setup this Summer!

I have this setup in stock and ready to ship

Juan

This is great news Juan! Now I don't need to buy 16" wheels for the track. I can use some 15x7s I've got laying around. They also have a 14.5" inside diameter. I'll run my new 16x8 Centerlines on the street. Thanks for a nice product!

Pete

Hello The Wilwood package with 12.19 rotors and caliper shown Superlite 2A measures 12.6" for clearance. The caliper hangs off the hub .6"

I have about 14.5 "inside diameter just laying the ruler down on the Enkie rim.

Hell yea Im using this setup this Summer!

I have this setup in stock and ready to ship

Juan

Wow' date=' this is great news. I took the liberty of adding some color coded dimension lines to your pic. If you could let us know what those are, that would help out tremendously regarding exact fitment for various wheels.

Just for reference, any idea how much the stock 240Z or 4x4 caliper (non-vented) protrudes from the hub as compared to the 0.6" for your Wilwood setup?

[img']http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/album_pic.php?pic_id=2504[/img]

AFAIK i sold JohnC his brake kit a few years ago his is the stage 2 setup for 4 lug and i made him custom larger rotors than what is normally in the kit..

kit complete with BILLET calipers is still $650 --

it will fit under 15" panasports for sure and with wheel weight clearance no issue-

"some" 14" wheels will clear but thats rim specific-