HybridZ

Double Clutch

EvilRufusKay

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

You cant right click on the link and save the file? I have the file saved on my computer (I use Linux so everything is easier), you can DL it from me, I'll need you to contact me on AIM when you want to DL so I can let you connect. If I post a link here then too many people will DL it and it will make my ISP really mad at me running a server.

Guest bastaad525

yeah I was able to download it, but only as a Streaming Audio/Video file, which is odd... I definately downloaded a whole movie, at around 48MB, but everytime I start the movie it has to connect via the internet and buffer the damn thing... it doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I have tried to no avail to save it as just a regular mpg or something.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I think with asf files it will try to connect to the internet. If you are not connected to the internet then it should play off of the local file. It will still indicate that it is buffering though, it is just buffering the local file.

I hate microsoft formats

Guest bastaad525

yeah the pedals are placed very well for heel-toe shifting... been practicing this for the last few days now... takes a lot of coordination... I keep forgetting to do it when I really should be doing it the most, which is when slowing for a turn...

oh and the car doesn't seem to be too happy about me doing it....

Another advantage of the whole double clutching thing is right before you go into a turn. You are already in the gear you need to be in to accellerate smoothly out of the turn, and it makes your entry into the turn much smoother if your engine and tranny are already synched up RPM wise when you release the clutch. I do it on every downshift of my Miata just to save a little clutch wear.

Bastaad, I've taught 5 or 6 people to heel/toe. Best way to start is in the driveway with the car in neutral just idleing. Stick you right heel down in the right corner of the footwell. Put the ball of your foot on the brake pedal, then rev with the side of your foot. You aren't trying to hit a certain rpm, just blip the throttle enough to get about 2K rev out of it. Then take your foot entirely off the pedals and do it again. Do that about 50 times and your brain will start to memorize your foot position, so you don't have to think about it so much when you do it on the street. Also, don't be trying this for the first time in heavy traffic situations.

Side story--the cool thing in my autox club was left foot braking. I can do it at an autox when I don't really have to shift, but I was trying to get it down good enough for the track. Finally gave up on it when I was driving down a fairly busy street and went to shift and my left foot was still on the brake. I SCARED THE CRAP OUTTA MYSELF!!! For a split second I thought I'd been in an accident. Huge adrenaline rush... I guess you don't realize how hard your left foot hits the clutch until its on the brake accidentally. Anyway, moral of the story is don't be learning in heavy traffic. :oops:

Once you get it down, then make it a part of your everyday driving. I heel/toe or just blip the throttle if I'm not slowing down too fast on every downshift on every vehicle I own.

Jon

I left foot brake all the time. It does get scary when you goof and put the clutch to the floor instead of the brake, but you learn to quickly use your right foot to save the day. I also heel and toe everywhere and sometimes double clutch if I just want to keep in practice.

It does get confusing for me. My F350 and my 1964 Continental are automatics, my Datsun 810 is a 5 speed stick, and my 240Z is a sequential straight cut gear dog box.

OK, here's a couple questions for you then about left foot braking, John. My problem is with switching from left foot on the brake to the right foot on the brake when decellerating. Did you widen the brake pedal? I just don't seem to have enough room to get both feet on there. Also, my Z takes a pretty considerable pedal effort to slow down. Did you get small enough Tilton masters that this isn't a problem for you? I was thinking maybe about going with a bigger booster. Do you think that would help?

Thanks,

Jon

Track events...

On a corner where I need to downshift I will right foot brake and heel/toe. I use the clutch on downshifts. On corners where I don't need to downshift (or in a corner where I might need to tap the brakes for some odd reason) I will left foot brake. I'm not a good enough braker to transition braking feet as you mention.

Autocross...

Get the car into second and leave it there (most of the time) and left foot brake for corners and transitions. I will occaisionally right foot brake when I need to downshift for a slower corner.

I just can't see how someone can switch feet while threshold braking. I think to braking had for turn last (Sunset) onto Buttonwillow's front straight after a hard run out of the esses. That's a turn you need to get right for a fast lap and its where a lot of passing gets done. If someone can heel/toe down one or two gears, make a competitive pass, and switch feet on the brake pedal, then they have talent I will probably never posses.

I'm telling you man, I feel the same way. Maybe the Cal Poly Sports Car Club was just filled with idiot savant drivers or something, but we went to Buttonwillow and that's what the driving instructors were telling us to do, and I was one of the few who couldn't do it by the end of the day, or at least one of the few who admitted it. It's also possible that the others were lying, or that they weren't threshhold braking.

Kinda made me feel bad, but hey, I still posted 2nd fastest time of the day... :D

Jon