HybridZ

looking for source on weld-in bungs 3/8" npt

mobythevan

Weel, then I don't have anything to offer you :oops::( . Although, most parts stores should carry them?

If you do need O2 sensor bungs to weld in, the cheapest way i have found is to buy 14mm spark plug anti foul extentions, cut off the end, and weld them in...works great.

Tim

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

I'm gonna use a Russel fuel bulkhead probably. Are you doing a true sump or just tapping in? Love to know what the hell is going on with the coolant temp sensor. Can I ask what type of sensore you gotta use? I wan't to see how one of these Megasquirt cars come along. Any links to fast Megasquirt cars? Maybe we will see one soon.

I am using the nissan head temp sensor instead of the GM coolant sensor, but I am using the GM air temp sensor. Yeah, it is 3/8 npt. I welded the bung into the j-pipe today for the first round of tuning on the car. I went to a bearing shop and bought some mild steel 3/8 npt couplers and cut them in half to make my own weld in bungs. Worked really well and at $5 for 4 bungs as compared to $30 for 4 of the ARP types.

I am making a real sump on the bottom of the gas tank, just like the kits that summit sells. I'll weld in two of the 3/8 npt bungs like their kit. I have the sheet metal so I can do the sump for under $10 instead of buying the kit.

Things are moving along good with the MS computer. I am paced by dollars right now because I have to upgrade injectors, fuel rail, clutch, and fuel pump. But I'll start messing around with the stock injectors, stock fuel pump and slipping clutch until funds become available.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Moby, I don't want to knock what your doing or how your are doing it. But look into placing the air temp sensore after the T-body on the intake. Drill tap and done. As for your sump, I would build my own also. The kit can hang too low making gravity feed a bitch. It could also bang the floor when launching hard at the track. Right?[/img]

I don't want to knock what your doing or how your are doing it.

That is a fair question because we see a lot of discussion about where to place the air temp sensor. The placment in the j-pipe is temporary until I install my intercooler. I just wanted to get back on the road for a couple weeks until I put the intercooler in(I am having withdrawals from the car being stuck in the garage), then several things in my setup have to change. I have to take the intake manifold off to port it for the 60mm TB, so then I will look at putting the air sensor after the TB.

I dont' think you want the air temp sensor in the J-Pipe. Put it in the intake plenum. The temp in the J-Pipe won't be as accurate as in the intake itself. That will give the MS the most accurate reading on the air actually entering the combustion chamber. Just drill out one of the unused holes for a 3/8" NPT, tap it, and you are good to go. That's what I did for both coolant and air temp sensors.

Pete