HybridZ

few new pics of my Z... plus a few small questions..

Guest ON3GO

took these when i went to FL for thanksgiving..

i no the car is always in the same spot but hey what do you want from me..

also can you guys see any difference in the paint? like does it look pretty new?

PDR_00944.jpg

PDR_0099.JPG

PDR_0100.JPG

PDR_01144.jpg

PDR_00885.jpg

PDR_01188.jpg

i guess the 1st owner who i bought it from had a car cover on it.. for a LONG time and the cover i guess stuck to the paint and looked like it ruined the paint, but with alot and i do mean ALOT of waxing and stripping, and more waxing, and more wax it seems like the paint is almost brand new.. should hold me over for awhile untill i can save up for a real good paint job.

also i tested the rear ZG flares on the Z.. they seem to line up perfect and it sure does look trick.

here are the questions..

i want to put my Z in the air (yes even more then it is now, JSR PRYDE :rockon: ) and coat the whole bottom of the car.. like a nice black or dark gray, to stop rust, but i also dont want it to make more dirt stick to the bottom of the car.. nis there anything like that?

also does the 240Z vinyl interior trim work on a 280Z? you know the black trim, looks like a snake skin.. i want that instead of carpet on my Z.. around the tranny tunnel and where ever else...

and another question is could i buy a full dash cap and rip my old cracked dash out, and some how rig up away to just use the dash cap? would cut down on weight big time.. im guessing i would have to reinforce it, but still.. has anybody ever done this? i searched but only found a few things where ppl said they wanted to do this.. but found nothing else.

thanks guys!

mike

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

Paint looks awesome! JSR PROPS! :2thumbs:

Your car looks very nice, makes me miss mine even more!

I love the way the car looks in the fourth pic from the top.

It looks like you arent going to need flares for the front, but have you considered putting a black trim around the wheelwells in the front to kind of match the rear?

...coat the whole bottom of the car.. like a nice black or dark gray, to stop rust, but i also dont want it to make more dirt stick to the bottom of the car..

Some of the bed sprays for trucks have any oily like surface and work excellent at keeping stuff from sticking to them. One of my old neighbors had a liner on his truck and dust wouldnt even stay on that! (We lived near the freeway so any car sitting for longer than 24 hours had a sheet of dust on it).

thanks man for the kind words..

about the flares on the front. im prob gonna run a wheel spacer because i do like the cool of the ZG's on all 4. but also because im going to running bigger sway bars and as of now with the stock ones the wheels almost hit them at lock to lock. and plus it comes near the radius bar too..

dont want to take any chances..

and hmmm i think im gonna go to a few shops that does those bed liners.. ill ask them if they could some how apply it to the bottom of a car on a lift or something..

the car will be here in texas soon.. prob Feb.. i hope atleast.

i already found a place here in texas that will do a roll car and a few other things for it..

just gotta get rid of the stock rear bumpers and get some Euro ones on the front and rear.. and get that damn side trim off then ill be set.

thanks again man..

mike

well i know FCZ is gonna try to make a cap.. but i really want that PDK carbon fiber 240Z dash.. i so want that but they dont make it anymore.. i know they are gonna make a fiberglass one but i love the look of carbon fiber and plus i have lots of carbon fiber parts already on this car like gauges and etc.. so i want everything to flow..

hmm maybe just the carbon fiber cap on the fiberglass dash.. but still i dunno.

mike

Guest 240hybrid

Well for the underside this is what I did.....I dropped out every part of the suspension took them to the wire wheel and got all the dirt and rust off. I used a grinder and dremel (spelling?) on the hardcore rust and then coated them with Por 15 paint after using "metal ready". Luckily there wasn't too much deep rust to contend with :lol: . I figure if Por 15 can seal the rust from rusting further, it can keep the moisture out, while keeping rust from forming and stop any rust that I missed. I then used a rubberized undercoating (any auto parts store has) on the chassis, the floor pans I replace, spare tire area, etc. and sprayed the suspension parts with a few coats of flat black after Por 15ing them, and reinstalling them.

The underside of the ole Zcar looks-a-nice now :D .

I hope this opens another option to you as far as the undercarriage goes. Using a Bedliner on the underside is a good idea too, as its definitely up to abuse. I bought a gallon of the stuff for $100 at Auto Zone in a do-it-yourselfer kit for the interior insulation and protection. I would suspect that if you put only 1 good think coat, instead of 2-3 as the instructions say, you can coat the entire underside, wheel well, and frame rails of your Z without a problem. Just wear some throw away clothes/work clothes that you don't care about. Good luck, and a few coats of wax did the ole Green Machine very good. Looks nice. Good luck mounting the flares...did you ever get the rear end/suspesion problem worked out?? Keep em on the road.

Chase

well i already did the wheel wells..

PDR_0017.JPG

came out pretty good..

im gonna go to autozone in abit...

no the rear end is gonna get fixed when alex comes to get the car for the motor..

mike

Guest 240hybrid

Yeah, I kind of remembered seein previous pics of the wheel wells in the past. Looks good, and should be well protected for the future. I would use the bedliner on the areas like the floor pans and such that might see bottoming out over speed bumps and stuff. You got a good Z, in that there was or is no major work needed on the floor boards or any rust repair. Can't wait to see what kind of numbers you get out of your L28et. I'm waiting on the wire harness and intercooler to arrive from JWT for mine, and then shes finished....nice Xmas gift to myself :D .

Chase

thanks man.. yeah the floors are in PERFECT shape.. the rails are good.. dented but strong.

i cant wait to see the numbers too from my motor.. soo cant wait..

whats the specs on ur motor? prob badass.

best of luck.

thanks again

mike

Guest 240hybrid

My L28et..... JE forged rods/pistons with a high temp ceramic coating to protect them. Mild port and polish job (P90-solid lifters), with a custom grind cam (have to get the specs. on that still), extrude honed manifolds. SS 3 angle valves. Bigger TB and all the other smaller items such as higher pressure oil pump springs, etc. Nice T3/04E turbo with a 56 trim and .70 A/R. Sparco intercooler... I'll be using 420cc injectors and using JWT management system.... Cobra mustang AFM, 300zx ECU that's reprogrammed. etc. etc. Jim Thompson estimate about 400 HP or so on race fuel at the crank, but we'll see when it's on the dyno. From what I see the torque #s are usually higher than the HP with the L6 motor, so it shouldn't have any problem with getting up and going. Should make a nice machine. :D Should be a pretty much bullet proof motor though.

Can't wait to see yours too. Hows the motor coming along??

Chase

wow u have a way more badass motor then me..

mines just a stock rebuild with major port work, T04E 60-1 stage 5 82 a/r turbo, custom fmic, 3in exhaust, either haltech or microtech stand alone, blitz bov, 55 o-ring injectors and custom fuel rail, fuel pump, blitz sbc i-D boost controller and a few other little things here and there. im also thinking of running a 100 wet shot of nitrous..

on kinda low boost and pump gas we are going for 300rwhp.

yours sounds crazy..

alex has done a few things to the motor but he is picking the car up soon to get it all done..

cant wait..

mike

Guest 240hybrid

I wouldn't be so modest...yours sounds like a mean machine too. That 100 shot of NOS will make it scream like a scalded cat. I'll be running a 3" exhaust also, and a custom fuel rail and a few other items. I'm not going to ramble off too much, but thats the gist of it. I'll keep my eyes peeled for when you post a dyno or just #s that the motor makes. I'll have to get some meats like your out back after I smoke these fresh ones I just put on a few months ago. Keep up the good work and take it easy.

Chase

you too mna.. be safe when you get that beast on the road.. i would DEFF get some better tires and BRAKES!

you prob already have them, you seem to know your shat.

have any pics of the interior of your car?

what gauges are you gonna run?

mike

Guest 240hybrid

Yeah, I'm going to be a light foot after my L28et is installed for sure. The motor in her now can get the car loose in corners when pushed hard, so I'm going to be very wary of the turbo motor and when the turbo spools up.

I don't have any pics of the interior yet...I'm still finishing the small toggle switch controls that I put where the CD/radio is located, and I have to put the console back in after finishing it, and then will get pics. I redid all the interior with the bedliner material as insulation/sound deadening and placed carpet over that....Still doesn't stop diff. noise from the solid rear mount and solid diff. strap/crossover I fabbed, but I don't mind it (can be seen in my webpage). Besides the 6 point cage and 240sx seats, its pretty much stock, with stock gauges and such in the interior. I'm glad that the rev limiter is being set at 7000 rpm as thats what the stock gauge reads as redlining, and I like the stock gauges and didn't want to replace them. I'll get some pics soon as I'm pretty much finished with everything I'm doing in there.

I feel ya on the better wheels/tires and brakes though, but the setup I have now isn't too horrible, but could be better. The 225/60/14 along with the LSD, hook up pretty well with the motor I have in it now, but I'll see what happens with the new motor and upgrade then. I'll most likely end up looking at something just a bit smaller than your setup for wheels and tires, so that I don't have to use flares. The stock brakes are pretty good surprisingly, and I'm about to run some brake ducting to them really soon for track/autoXing, and just to keep them cool for hard street use. I'm thinking of going with ArizonaZ's brake setup as my upgrade all the way around and Ross C's coilovers around feburary. All my $ is tied up in the motor right now :? so that'll be next. Some may argue about doing brakes/suspension first, but I wanted to get the motor done first as its the most expensive on my list.

I can't wait to see your car hit the road....I might have to take a road trip out to TX to see ya, and I also have some relatives out there that need visiting. Are you going to install any kind of rear spoiler?? Also, whats your email/SN/IM name, so that we can talk off the board sometime?

Chase

my email is oldschoolhybrid@yahoo.com

my aol IM.. iraqybumm

ill be running a 432r spoiler as soon as i get the money.

but my suspension is like 98% done.. just want the PDK strut bars and some bigger sway bars... then after that im done.. i think atleast.

im gonna start buying interior parts next, like seats and the rest of my Blitz gauges and such. damn Z's are money to keep up...

and i need a LSD rear end BIG time.. or just a rear end cuz mine is about to take a shat..

wish this damn project was over so... i can start another one lol.. this time WIDEBODY! YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

hehe

mike

back to the dash question... I was thinking, if you strip your dash down to its aluminium, i think, frame, you could mount your cap onto that with the expanded foam like someone else mentioned. That could work. Let me know what you do for your undercoating, just about ready to do that.

I didn't have such good luck using the spray on rubberizer stuff on the interior floorboard. I used the stuff recommended by the paint supply house that turns the rust to black "primer" and then put the rubberizer on, after clean up. My floor boards are still rusting from underneath the rubberizer. I use to have just one hole, now I have three from rust.

Just thought I would voice my opinion. Hopeit helps.