HybridZ

I saw a for sale add today....

datsunlover

Hmm.. got another I6 engine to consider: Jag DOHC 4.0L from the XJ6 series. Specs I have found so far say good things to me..

245 BHP @ 4700rpm and 289 flb of torque @ 4000rpm. And this is with the power steering, ac, and whatever else (Its a jag right?) AND these are 4080Lb cars... Im thinking with evrything stripped off except the alt. and water pump, plus a custom header/exhast and intake work, 275-300HP would be atainable.. and it would still be a 6 Cyl which would keep myinsurance company happy! There is an 88 for sale localy that I think I will check out with my trusty tape measure...heh heh.. I know someone who put a jag engine in his Z, so maybe I can get some advice/info on this subject... This just might be do-able....

Maybe our sight admin guy can put us on the “other engine†board under Jag six.

album_pic.php?pic_id=2531

The Jag six is a wonderful motor that dates back the second word war. It has some history as well. It won a few Lemans races in the late fifties and managed to make Enzo rethink his game.

The 4.0L motor has an iron block with aluminum heads. There are racing articles that say the bottom end can take 400hp without modification. The head can easily produce 350 hp in naturally aspirated form with the right cams and headers. The Jag six has more performance items available than the twelve. This should suggest something in itself.

It is my thought that a naturally aspirated, Megasquirted fuel injected motor with hi performance cams and headers would provide the Z with a very lively level of excitement. However with deep pockets and an old low compression bottom end, new fuel injection head, turbo(s) and a Megasquirt system, the car would be something else all together.

There is some interesting reading on turbo charging the Jag six in a book called Fuel Injection by Jeff Hartman.

album_pic.php?pic_id=2530

The author's three-turbo, twelve-injector, six-port nitrous, 3x2-throttlebody Jaguar XKE. The fuelling system has run with both Haltech and NOS EFI control. The enormous Cartech Intercooler (far right) is tilted slightly forward for radiator air flow. TWM throttle bodies have over-and-under injectors, a total of twelve of them on a twin-cam, six-cylinder engine. A Bosch fuel pump located on the bulkhead in the trunk's spare tire compartment, provides plenty of fuel for up to 8OO hp. Note the triple turbo "Heiney Manifold" by Latham Race Cars, Austin, Texas.

Hey Matt:

The critical measurement will be the length. Motor rad and fan all have to fit. If you put the rad out front then you might not have room for your intercooler later.

You can find a bell housing here.

http://www.longrun.com/parts/parts.htm

Ok Matt…Get to work!

Hey Glenn; I thought this post might get your attention! :) I wasn't aware that 6 had such a long history! But I like the idea of a tried and tested engine that has been 'proven through a long history of racing'. I figure that just the stock engine would have enough 'umph' to keep me happy for the first little while! Lets see.. Datsun sohc 2.8 I6 - 170 HP VS. Jag dohc 4.0L I6 - 245 HP... an instant 75 horse jump BEFORE turbo/cam/exhast mods! And it would be different :wink: lots of supra swaps, lots of chev and ford swaps... not many Jagsuns around though! As for a trany, I like the 'old school' 4 speed, and was thinking of maybe an old Muncie, or a borg warner T-10 top loader... I know a lot of chev guys so this would be the easy find. I have to go do some more research on this, but I am liking the idea if for nothing else then the fact that it would be different! Oh yah, if you come across any other info on these engines/parts cars let me know. Thanks for the link Glenn!

hey datsunlover....

I can go check one out and take measurements for you if you would like. there is a jag in the pick n pull here in phoenix. it has the I6. just let me know what you need measurements of and I can probably have them by tomorrow night.... It does sound very interesting tho!

McAdam

Basicaly, I need the overall length (fan to rear end of the engine) and the hight (pan to the highest point on the top). Im pretty sure the width will be ok.. if Glenn can get a V12 in there, the I6 should be a breeze! Oh yah, if you can see it, I'm curious what the oil pan looks like. Im hoping the sump will clear my crosmember/steering... oh yah; if it's FI, does it have actuall injectors or some sort of Bosch j-tronic (or something) system? Thanks man!

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

That would definitely be an interesting swap. I think it would look very nice and suit the Z pretty well. What is the bore and stroke on that engine? What type of fuel delivery setup would you plan to go with?

Well, I'll have to get some weight numbers from somewhere, but I'm sure the weight gain wouldn't be more than a comparable V8 swap. And I would only be running the alternator,(no power steering or a/c) and moving the battery to the rear. As for the engon height, I'm waiting for 'Mack' to get back to me with some measurments but I wouldn't be oposed to a slight 'cowl' hood mod for the extra clearance.

For fuel delivery, I am not sure yet. Depends what's on the engine I get I supose.. if it's an old carb engine, I'll go with the carbs for starters and upgrade to FI later (after the swap is done and drivable) But I would like to try a megasquirt FI system eventually.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MustangSix

If it's a 4.0 it has to be an AJ16 from an 88 - up model. That one has a 24 valve DOHC design that is canted to the right about 30 degrees for packaging.

It's a nicely designed engine, but it is huge. It's long, tall, wide and heavy. Not a problem in a full size car like a Jag, but probalby kind of tight in a Z.