HybridZ

16" wheels for 280ZXT almost impossible to find!?!

Guest jjohart

Guest jjohart

Am I missing something, or is the Panasport Rally 16" ONLY wheel currently in production for Z's in a 16" sizing (i.e, that doesn't require spacers or Honda adapters)? There are apparently a few HRE's at $600+ each (forged), but those are a bit out of the mainstream, AFAICT!

Thanks

John

Centerline: http://www.centerlinewheels.com

I just bought some 16x8s from the weel deal section for $99 each

Colorado Custom: http://www.coloradocustom.com

They make them to order, any offset/bolt pattern. Her are the ones I like:

http://www.coloradocustom.com/item_wheel.asp?item=10&series=Billet%20Series

Half the price of the HREs, but still pricey

Pete

Guest jjohart

I haven't had time, but appreciate the links/replies..but alas, I started out my wheel search by contacting Centerline directly, and their sales staff informed me that NONE of the Centerline wheels fit my vehicle, nor any Z's, "unless they're using spacers, which we don't sell and don't recommend".

So what do the Centerline recommendations have to do with actual use on my 280ZXT if I DON'T WANT spacers? Seems confounded by the manufacturer's own word (unless some of you are tuning in to a different supplier or something!!).

John

Guest jjohart

Ah, I guess Centerline can vary in their efficacy of replies. I got transferred two times, and the first thing I was told is the 280Z X (emphasis on X) is a somewhat problematic fit...over the years, this fellow, Ron, continued, the ZX has had customers complaining that it might hit the calipers, etc. So, apparently seeing the 240,260,280Z's as doable, the ZX I have naturally incurs the risk of my running into fittment difficulties, which is a double drag, since he's putting some of the best buy wheels in sale pricing to get rid of "that 4 inch back space, which is history!?

Follow up question would be to owners/users of 280ZX or ZXT's who might have these wheels...did they hit the brake rotors or suspension? Again, I don't want to have to use spacers to use these wheels!

Thanks

John

Follow up question would be to owners/users of 280ZX or ZXT's who might have these wheels...did they hit the brake rotors or suspension? Again' date=' I don't want to have to use spacers to use these wheels!

Thanks

John[/quote']

John, why not get the available wheel specs from Centreline (width/offset/any dish geometries they can supply) and measure up your car to see what can fit? It's not hard to do and allows you to comfortably nail down your combination.

I've also seen revolution wheels for Z's but I'm not fond of their few patterns. Some like the panasports but I think their support has waned in the last few years. I went to Shasta 2000 and recall seeing some half dozen or more modified Z's in a row all with panasports...boring IMO to join one of so few choices and then if you decide to change their's still no choices (I'm on my 4th wheel type in 9 or 10 yrs). I got a lot more q's about my 16x8 RX7TT's for their functionality and looks. Just my .02c.

FWIW, all the local Z Xtreme Z cars I know are running spacers, guys with 400 and 500hp easy (can't include myself in that class!). We're all running multiple wheel sets as well. I've got 3 sets all identical, less than $300 into each set, cheaper than changing tires...one for street/one for track...one for a rainy day:) Others have varying offset sets they swap in minutes with varied flat custom spacers. Friends have found the Honda types and 5lug types in great value tire and rim combo's used in some 17" and 18" setups I still drool over:) Nice to be able to casually shop used or new for fun on occasion. Knowing you can jump on an 18" Trophy TSW combo with R1 tires for a fine price, use the tires and then just flip the rims for no loss and choose your next fun can be some guys enjoyment. One bud did just that, 2nd bud is still keeping his TSW's.

Guest das280zx

I hate to say it, but Centerlines would be really cool, except they look soo camero-ish. I mean really guys, they just don't look good!! Of course this is my opinion, but I have never seen a set that appeal to me. They look neither classic nor modern, just like something out of the 80's aftermarket. I went with 16" kosei k1's +13mm offset. I had Ross make me some 8mm spacers for the front, and used nissan quest lug nuts. All said, with wheels and tires, it was about 1200 bucks. That is about how much my car is worth, but oh well. Here's an ok pic:

w_kosei3.jpg

Now maybe those look too modern for a z, but oh well, I like them. To each his own.[/img]

I have a set of Centerline Falcons, and they fit over my 12" Wilwood brake setup, so there is plenty of room for brakes. Because these wheels have a lug cover, they wheel mounting pad has to be raised. The Wilwood calipers I'm using protrude beyond the hub about 0.6", and with the Centerlines, there is at least another 0.5" between the caliper and the wheel. You should not have any problems runnig them on a 280ZX. In fact, I've seen at 5 ZXs running the 15" Centerlines, just look on the cover of last year MSA catalog.

I found that Centerline is not very forthcoming with wheel dimensions. So they are ver conservative as far as stating that a wheel will definitely fit a particular car. The "Wheels Deals" they have are "all sales final". You can't beat the price. I paid $99 each for 16x8s. They are strong, light, and nicely polished. Al little too shiney for me. I may paint the center black or something. I don't like the hub covers either (I had a set of 15s that had a problem with the covers making a ticking noise a low speed). I found some center caps at Summit Racing that fit nice. I'll post pictures when I get them on the car.

Pete

Definately some billet wheels designs can be very tacky and too blingy....but there are some very nice designs as well. I have my reservations on CenterLine and went with a set of custom made Boyds for my '84 Datsun Pick-Up. Once thing about Billet wheels is they are extremely high maintenance and have to be re-polished at least once per year witha high speed buffer as they start to haze and look cloudy.....making them look cheap.

Would you put a set of these on a Z:

AROYA.jpg

UG! I hope not!

These are the billets I bought for my old Datsun top soil hauler:

8619863.jpg

Finding a sweet 16" wheel is getting topugh these days and I was also looking for a 16" wheel for my ZXT, but could not find a design I liked that was also light, so I plus sized it and went up to a 17" and settled on these:

24625288.jpg

Which I think looked cool as they were gun metal grey which offset the white on my car, plus the rivets on the circumference looked sharp and I am always drawn to a polished lip as well.

One of the best 16" available today is the SSR (Speed Star Racing) as they are 11.5lbs each! Incredible and lighter than a Jim Carrey Comedy. I bought a set for my old skool Toyota Corolla and they are fantastic:

39750477.jpg

34550969.jpg

I have done an extensive amount of research on wheels, and my friend's call me the Rim Doctor (soon to be opening up a hot line!!!). Its amazing how wheels can trasnform (or ruin) your vehicle.

Well that's it - hope that helps!

Yasin

Guest das280zx

I think alot of those billet wheels would look way better if you sand-blasted them and then painted them grey or silver or something. Polished wheels look to "bling-bling" imo. Seems like all billet wheels are polished too.