HybridZ

Aluminum vs. Iron heads and compression-why the difference?

Aluminum absorbs heat quicker so detonation becomes less prone. Aluminum also sheds the heat much quicker. Try it at home with a piece of aluminum and a piece of iron. Heat them up the same amount of time, see which one is hotter. Come back 5 minutes later and see which one is cooler :D

Tim

Thanks, is there a ballpark figure on how much more compression they'll tollerate compared to iron heads? Something like "you can run 10:1 with iron heads and 10.5:1 with aluminum heads on 91 octane gas." You probably get my drift. If there's an answer, thanks in advance. :2thumbs:

There really is no rule of thumb because so many other things affect compression ratio, like cam especially. But IF you wanted to put numbers on it, I would say:

11.5:1 with ally heads

10:1 with Iron heads.

Again, depends on altitude, fuel, ambient air temp, ignition system etc etc etc.....

Tim

And....

With all things equal (chamber design' date=' valve diameter, flow numbers, etc.) iron heads will make more power than alum. heads at compression ratios lower than about 9.5:1.[/quote']

That seems to directly contradict what was explained above. How can you explain iron heads make more power at less than 9.5:1 compression?

Here we go again with the "all things being equal." Yes, if "all things are exactly the same" the iron head will help to generate a little (and it's very little) more power because of reduced heat transfer. However, aluminum heads enable a higher compression ratio and therefore, will generate more power. :D

Here we go again with the "all things being equal." Yes, if "all things are exactly the same" the iron head will help to generate a little (and it's very little) more power because of reduced heat transfer. However, aluminum heads enable a higher compression ratio and therefore, will generate more power. :D

And they will be lighter!

In my opinion, and experience (for whatever that's worth) in "real world" conditions and outside of wide variations in specifications, the only significant difference is the 35 lbs. of weight.

A good iron head can make great horsepower and hold a high compression same for a good aluminum head. There are differences of course, but an iron head that has been ported, flowed, good valve train, etc. will make all the HP you need.

I've built engines both ways.