HybridZ

gear ration 4 speed 1977z

Guest Anonymous

The book I was looking at, "The Z-Seris Datsuns", gives 3.36 for the final drive ratio, but nothing for transmission gear ratios.

There is a very easy way to check the rear end ratio. Jack up the rear end leaving one wheel on the ground. Put it in neutral and place a piece of tape on the driveshaft and a second on the tire that is off the ground. Then count how many times you need to turn the driveshft to get the tire to turn two full turns. If it is just under 3 and a half, then you have a 3.36. Just over and it is a 3.54.

Should be 3.54 for final drive in the 280's r200. 240's had the 3.36 in their r180. Check out the following link for tranny gear ratios:

http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/GearRatios.html

It will also show you which cars had r180's installed and which had r200's and what the ratios were. Good site. Check out how close the Borg Warner trans ratios are to the US spec 4 speed. I can't wait to get mine in my car!

The manual trans. 1977 280Z came with a 3.54:1 R200. Gearing in the transmissions are identical for the 4-spd and the 5-spd. except, of course, 5th which is .86:1. 4th is obviously 1:1 in both but I don't remember the other three. Go to zcar.com and get into their links section. They will be able to get you to an area where you can find the numbers you're looking for.

Gearing is NOT the same for the 4 speed and the 5 speed. The overall first gear is close with the 33.6 r180 and the 3.54 first gear of the 4 speed and the 3.54 r200 and the 3.32 first gear of the "early" 5 speed. Check out the info on the zhome page.

http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/GearRatios.html

I don't even trust the page numbers in a Chilton/Hynes manual... bonk.gif

OK - let's split hairs - the actual R200 gearing is 3.545:1. The gearing on the other 4-spds is for the earlier 240 & 260 models that used the R180 diff's. The manual transmissioned 280Z Coupes (75-78)sold in the US all used 3.545:1 R200's and used the 4-spd. I mentioned above and then, starting in '77, you could get the 5-spd. I mentioned above. The automatic transmissioned versions had the 3.36:1 and the 2+2's I'm not sure about. I don't have my manual in front of me this morning to confirm them. Haynes and Nissan FSM both agree on this.

To translate a litlle further - If you have that R200 and that 4-spd or 5-spd then, in first gear, for every 1,000 rpm your engine turns, your tires will turn about 85 rpm. That equates to about 6.5 mph so at 6,000 rpm in first your car would be going about 39 mph.