HybridZ

Bushings-OEM, Urethane, both?

Guest Ericttzx

Guest Ericttzx

I pretty much need every new suspension bushing front and rear on my '71. I have the non-adjustable Tokico shock/spring set (not installed yet). Should I go with all urethane bushings or OEM. I was going to go with OEM because my car is a daily driver and I don't want my ride to be to stiff. Is there any advantages in useing some urethane and some OEM bushings? The places I was going to use urethane was for the sway bars and tension rods. Everything else I was going to go with OEM. Is this a good idea or do you guys suggest something different.

I have all poly on my Z and to be honest with you, I'm thinking of changing them to new rubber bushings. I'd say, if you are going to use it for a street car, go with new rubber bushings. But if you want the tightness and feel of almost no movement in the bushings, then go with poly. I like to feel everything on the road so I can tell what the surface is like and what the car is doing, but after a while the jarring ride got pretty old. I have relatively soft springs (175/200) and the 5-ways are set to 2(front) and 3(rear), so I know it's not the springs or shocks that are the culprit.

!M!

I have all urethane bushings on my Z and they are fine for a daily driver. The TC rod failure will not be an issue if you get the MSA/G-Machine TC kits that have the ball and socket joint. My Z has the Nissan Euro springs and KYB struts, so stiffer than stock but still reasonable. I also have the MSA front and rear sway bars, which I think are too large for my set up. The lower control arm bushings have been replaced with the camber adjusting units. These are essentially solid units. But even with all the suspension upgrades, the ride is fine on long drives.

IMO the most important factor in a rough ride are the wheels and tires. Low profile, wide tires are what transmit every bump and pebble. For the daily driver I have 60 series tires on stock 14 inch wheels (I think 205 wide). When I switch to auto cross tires (225-50-15), the ride gets noticeable more rough. I can't imagine what a 40 or 35 series tire on 16+ inch rims would be like.

• 4 years later...
To install what? I'm glad that you are searching, but why are you bringing up a post from over 4 years ago?

The urethane bushings. I went on motorsports auto and I am planning on buying the master urethane bushing kit

That's a pretty big question, and would take quite a while to write an answer to. When you get to a certain part of the project, say front control arm bushings, then search for that and you'll find your answer. Rear control arm bushings are a serious PITA. Definitely search that one and read up before you attempt it. Here is another website which I think you'll find useful, although they got really lucky with their rear control arm bushings and I wouldn't count on their info on that particular topic: http://atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/suspension.htm

I replaced all my bushings in the rear control arms in under an hour. Not that bad. I drilled a series of holes with a small drill bit arond the sleeve but as close to the walls of the C.A. Used a large brass punch, hammer and vise. Held the C.A. in the vise and wailed the brass against the center sleeve. Pulled most of the center out. Used a small knife to shave out most of the rubber and then hit them up with a coarse half round file. Really not that bad. Just be carefull not to over do it with the file. Some small wire attachtments for a drill will fit the inside diameter as well.

replacing the stock bushings is retarded, i did them on both my 77 280z, and my (now deceased) 90 rx7, i think the bushings on the z were easier than the 7, due to the fact that the car is 13 years older, different more open design, and the stock ones basically fell apart.

the feel: undescribable. im my late 7 (rest in piece(s)) i had tokico illumina with tanabe springs, full poly bushings, stiff mounts, and 225/45 tires. ya sure, i could feel a ridge in marble, but it was still amazing, although norcal roads arent the greatest.

if you want good feel, stiff ride, and to be able to throw the car around turns and have alot of fun, do it. if you arent into racing, or even spirited driving, just replace them with oem rubber.

i always say just go poly, they dont break down, ever.

peace

Do a search on broken TC rods. We just had a long thread about broken rods from poly TC bushings.

Why the aversion to poly? I'd do them all poly myself (except the TC rods)if its a street car.

Jon

I saw the ES recently updated/changed their TC bushings. They had a listing on eBay a couple of days ago I was reading....... they were saying when ordering from anyone to make sure you were getting the redesigned TC bushings. Maybe this is a cure for this issue? I am looking to redo the suspension on my 260Z and was searching for all the right information and stumbled across this thread.

Jon