HybridZ

Cant get my T56 sperated from the LT1

:evil:

Can someone tell me how to get this apart.

I have the motor and transmission out of the car, but god forbid we can't get them apart!

The trans will come apart about 2", 3 Hours later and one sore back we have given up....

Anyone else have this problem? We though it was just us not getting it lined up well enough but I don't think thats it....

Thanks,

Terry

I havn't taken a T56 trans off an engine yet, but Im sure it is like any other... make sure all the bolts are out of the bell housing, and look for two alignment/dowel pins maybe... if there are any, they can get stuck sometimes and if the trans is not perfectly straight (in line) with the engine, it cocks sideways and jams the bellhousing on the back of the engine.

It's more than likely the gearbox not coming apart because its not perfectly straight. The two should basically 'fall' apart. Try this:

Lift the engine and gearbox to about 12 inches off the ground (make sure the bellhousing bolts are in and tight!!).

Put a couple of blocks of wood (enough that the oil pan is off the ground and everything level) under the gearbox, front and back.

Lower the hoist so that the gearbox is resting on the wood, but the engine is hanging.

Now loosen the bellhousing bolts and try to seperate. It shoud be easy to do if the gearbox input shaft is straight (in alignment with the splines on the clutch plate)

If it does not seperate, lift and or lower the engine in very small increments until it does.

Tim

The T56 uses a completly diffferent style clutch..puller. The clutch fork sits on a dowel in the bellhousing and is held in place by a clip the fork. The fork fits in a collar on the throw out bearing/pressure plate and must be fully disengaged from the throw out bearing before you can pull the trans. If you got it 2-3 inches out but are stuck it sounds like the fork may be your problem. Make sure you don't damage the clip on the fork or you will have trouble with the reassembly.

GAZRNR,

I think u just saved me from damaging my transmission, I did think the throw out fork may be the problem. It would be lose until u pulled the trans away from the motor and it than got tight.

Well anyway are saying all I need to do is take a sea clamp and pinch the fork, in other words just press the fork as the slave cyclinder would have if I was to push in the clutch peddle??

Thanks again, a lot! :-D:-D:-D

You don't need a C clamp to pull the fork loose. The fork will stay attached to the bell housing after you disengage it from the throw out bearing collar. You will know when you have it disengaged as you will be able to pull it part way out into where the slave cylinder attaches. Make sure you have the slave cylinder spacer out and then just pull the fork loose with your hand. It will not be super tight and you will feel the click. Once you feel the click the trans should come apart as any other trans. Be ready as the T56 is heavy!

Went over to Terry's (love-my-V8-280Z) house yesterday. I'll tell you, when his Z is done, it will be wild. I was very impressed with the work that he has put into the body, and the interior looks like new. That LT-1/T56 will make a fantastic package. Thanks, Terry for the hospitality.

Dan,

It was sad, I gave that fork a little pull and it came right off, that the trans came apart so easy...

When this Z car found me, I just wanted to fix it up. well after I found this site and you guys willing to help, it has made it 1)more fun 2)possible to do the undo-able! Thanks, If you hang in their with me there will be one more mint Z running around.

Another Z fan I met here lives just 50 mins south of me, he came and visted me yesteday, real nice guy his name is Rick Wiers, real brite also. He put a 350 into a 280 several yrs ago. He knows the men here pretty good. If you get a chance to know him don't pass it up.

Thanks again

Terry

:wink: