HybridZ

Do you have a sawzall?

Guest ZMFDM

When I buy tools I normally believe you get what you pay for. But I bought a Ryobi sawsall at Home Depot on sale for $49. Extremely happy with it. Variable speed, about half the weight of the $100 units, fits my hands well and it gets the job done.

If I worked construction/demolition where I was using it daily, then I would pony up and buy a Millwalkee or Porter Cable. But for me the Ryobi is perfect.

The only thing better might be a cordless unit. Very usefull for clearing sheet metal in the junk yard.

I have the Craftsman sawzall that sells for about $90-95. Well that's how much they costs several years ago. Great all around tool - from drywall, plaster walls to rusty Z floors. No complaints.

I agree with Auxilary, don't skimp on blades. Good blades makes all the difference.

Guest HBskinheadZ

I bought the cordless Dewalt combo kit and it has the 19v cordless sawsall in it. I have cut out rocker panels, rear hatch area, opal nose scoops, hood scoops and various other things at the junk yard. It has paid for itself in money saved on parts alone. Get the cordless one works great, I can cut a car in half in 5 min or less.

Try looking at a few of your local pawn shops. Due to the rough economy the past couple of years many sawzalls have been pawned. I went into two pawn shops and saw literally piles of sawzalls. The good brands (Milwakee, Makita, etc.) were selling from $35-$45. I picked up a Makita for $35 and have had great results with it.

I hate to say this guys but DO NOT BUY TOOLS FROM HOME DEPOT!!!

I test tools as well as all consumer goods. we do a lot of tetsting for Home Depot. In order to get a cheaper price for thier tools they require the manufactures to create tools of a lesser quality than those that you would buy eleswhere. They achive this by using a lower quality motor, cheaper gears with a lower Rockwell Hardness, thinner plastic, anything they can do to make it cheaper. In fact Cambell Hausfield will not be selling thier compressors thruogh HD anymore (in the near future) do to the amount of returns and customer complaints HD, and these "knock off products" has generated. To get around this HD has started buying the manufacturers outright!!! HILTI and RIGID are now owned by HD and as such have brought the quality of these (at one time ) high quality tools into the gutter. HD is a consumers nightmare BEWARE!!!

Rufus

I am not a fan of HD at all. Quality is my complaint. I like my stuff to last just look at the brands of tools I use: Snap On, Mac, Pro craftsman, Makita etc. Tool failure is a safety concern as well.

Rufus,

Are you saying that these companies have seperate assembly lines just for Home Depot? So, just to be clear, the tools found in and only in Home Depot are made of a lesser quality than those same tools found in a place like Ace Hardware?

Guys, we did have a Tool Review back in August:

http://www.hybridz.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=24959&highlight=

!M!