HybridZ

The R230 Swap

Scottie-GNZ

Scottie,

My machinist is making (and selling) the adapters for the companion flange to CV (MAS280 has bought two sets---for two cars). Speedway Engineering is making my new shafts (last thing my car is waiting for to get on the road!!). I had a driveshaft made by Cannon engineering using the donor driveshaft out of the Z28 (T56) and replaceable U-joints. I posted the part numbers in the drivetrain forum. The only thing left to do (for someone doing the swap) is the front mount and have the R200 Mustache bar redrilled.

http://www.1speedway.com/main.htm

http://www.cannonengineering.com/

fa37b666.jpg

fa37b602.jpg

Tim

Guest Anonymous

Tim,

Are you or your machinist doing anything to stop the new axel (cv SHaft) from walking out of the cv housings and thru the end cap on the cv itself. The stock clips in the cv's don't seem strong enough to prevent this. I have had two do that until I put a stop on the end cap on the inboard side. Just trying to help. Mark

Yup, almost 5 years. Actually (as has always happened before), it's kinda an anti climax. I'm actually not all that excited about driving it. Maybe I just need to shift gears into driving mode and out of building mode......or just sell the damn thing and start another........nah :D ...not yet anyways....

Yes...I will be at MSA.

Tim

Those cv adapters look super user friendly. I like em.

How are you guys making your front mounts, thats now among my big concerns with the swap. I know an r230 is overkill for my setup, good.

Mas280 sourced his axles from Moser and said 12.3 inches each side or something like that, Thats SHORT.. using inners for both sides, so four cv shafts must die to make the custom ones. Also last thing, Tim I see you running the r180 mustache bar, Im wondering if the diff will still clear with the setback position of the r200 bar??? Could always turn it around to clear everything I guess, since CVs dont need to be as straight as a ujoint does....

Guest freakypainter

I just got my R33 clip today and it came with a complete rear end, including the brakes, anyway I already have a Q45 diff with 3.54 but the R33 diff is 4.0 ? which one should I use, I thought there was a discussion somewhere about the higher gears (3.54) would alow the turbo to work better?

Brad,

This is my costs to date:

R230 and one pair of axles:$280

second pair of axles:$150

New shafts: $130 each

Companion flange adapters:$300

From mount:$negligable

R200 mustache bar: $40

Take MB to machinist to redrill for R230: $0

Tim