HybridZ

G-force t5 vs T56 options

N2744

okay. this is actually my first post but ive been reading and learning from hybridz for years now.

up till i read about the G-force kits for t5's, i was positive id go with a t56 for my 350 engine because i want to make alot of power and it seems the t56 is the only way to go for a manual trans, but now i am rethinking this. G-force claims their kit can support around 600 horsepower. their prices are $1600 for a complete transmission from them using a used t5 core, or $1000 for the do-it-yourself kit. for all of you not familiar with g-force, check this out. http://www.g-forcetransmissions.com/tran_gt-5.asp

so lets compare. bolth transmissions can handle the power so thats not an issue.

-the g-force t5 costs $1600

-weight savings over t56 of 75 pounds.

-the t56 costs around $1000 off ebay.

-but there are the extra expenses of $400 to drive a speedometer cable

-then another $600 or so just to make it work on an old style 350 block.

it seems to me that the g-force t5 is a much better option than the t56 for someone with an old style block who wants to make big power. feedback, opinions?

It'll only cost you $1000 for the complete upgrade set to helical cut gears and syncronized setup if you supply the tranny core in install everything yourself. That sounds good, but you need a core for that.

The $1600 sounds kinda pricey, but a 'race' prepared TKO is over $1700 from Darkhorse Performance and rated at only 500 lb/ft of torque. So far this sounds like a deal. I'd be partial to buying a 'kit' and installing it myself in my own core. They sell T5 rebuild videos from gearzone.net. And speaking of them, try the link and see if they have anything that might apply or stir your interest. http://www.5speeds.com/ . Funny, I thought this was different, but as soon as I went to the link, I got the G-Force tranny parts when I looked up gears. They are supposed to have a good rep as far as I know and I have emailed them in the past, because I will be upgrading my WC T5 with some of their parts, BUT I'm not spending the kind of money for a super strong unit because I frankly will have under 400 hp to begin with.

Davy

from what i found out, they have a tremec tko transmission for GM that supports around 425 ft-lb and costs $1659.95. this price is from http://www.carshopinc.com/product_info.php/products_id/55200/TCET2057

the price for this tremec is still a little more than the g-force and supports less power. in addition, the tremec does not bolt in as easily as the g-force and only a couple people are using them in our cars, as compared to the many people using t5's.

Glad to see some people considering the G-Force T-5!

Check-out the link N2744 posted and then click on the "View Ratio Chart", see the different ratio's with or without syncro's I want the "Helical-cut dog ring ratio's with a .59 fifth. Just think full-on power shifts without the straight-cut gear noise!

Mark

I'm seriously getting my T-5 redone this month on the 9th and I've looking into this set-up some but, I'm not sure if the added 1000.00 would be worth it or not. Has anyone had any real experience with G-force or anything like that? Also, what other benifits would there be other than increased HP and torque holding capacity. So far my T-5 has held up for 186,000 miles with about 80,000 with me behind the wheel. I'm just wondering if the rebuilt t-5 would last nearly as long as the factory fresh model did or will the added HP and torque kill it much faster. So far power wise I'm well over the stock ratings but, wouldn't come near testing the limits of the G-Force model.

Any sugestion?