HybridZ

FENDERS CUT, FLARES ARE IN! PICS HERE.

Guest bigjim240z

Guest bigjim240z

Well the flares are all welded in. Now im working on blending them into the body with filler. I had to make an extension onto the flare because for resons unknown by me and my the company that sells the flares, they dont go all the way down to the bottom of the body. so i made up a couple extentions welded them in and all looks good. gotta lot of work to do, but i feel the hard part is done. here are a few pics. 240z_work_073.jpg240z_work_074.jpg240z_work_075.jpg240z_work_088.jpg240z_work_086.jpg240z_work_087.jpg240z_work_089.jpg240z_work_090.jpg

Jim, the flares look really good welded on the body--very nice looking! Also, your extensions were just what the doctor ordered. Strange that the company didn't make them like that in the first place? Hmm.

Just one thing: I believe you are supposed to fillet the old fender lip and bend them into the wheel well, then weld or rivet them to the well. The body/wheel well is kind of a structural thingie on a unibody, no? Will you be welding or riveting some kind of steel to mate the well with the body? Just curious.

I'm not saying that I know everything, and I have certainly never tried this, but this did come up when Dan Juday was doing his VR engineering kit and he used his own car as an example.

Lookin' good :2thumbs:

Davy

Ouch! Yes, what Davy said. I cringed when I saw your first pic. You cut away way too much metal. You need to reattach the wheelhouse to the fender shin to recover the structural integrity you lose when you cut them apart. Maybe you already did this before you welded on the flares and I just can't see it in your pics, I hope so. If not this is going to be difficult to do with the flare in place.

Guest bigjim240z

i have the inside wheel well laying under the car still. i plan to tack it back up in place. i dont think any structural interity will be lost since i didnt cut the strut tower braces and once i weld it back up it will be just as strong as stock. all ill have to do is trim the well and tack it in place, once i know its where i want it ill fully weld it in. this is my first flare job and im learning as i go. everything will turn out well and i appreciate your advice guys!

Guest Zachb55

wow, i really like those flares i want something like that on my next Z. maybe a little more rounded like i see on some of the autocrossers, but what youve done is basically the procedure i would like to do. looks like a lot of hard work, and very well done work too. good luck with all the rest of the prepping, before you know it you'll be laying down the paint, cant wait to see the end result! keep up the good work!

Guest bigjim240z

yes, its a pretty clean car. it had minimal rust in the lower rear fenders, but that has all been cut out. when i cut the inside fender i didnt realize i had to filet the old inner fender, but its not a big problem thanks to the fact that i still have all the old sheet metal i cut out, i could just weld it back where i want it. it does however give me more work to do now. i thought the welding was pretty much done :( , oh well thats how work like this goes. the next one will be easier and less time consuming.

How many of us have screwed around all day on one side of the car, only to do the same work, correctly, on the other side in less than an hour :roll::D Welcome to my world. When I did my headlight change, it took a week to do the left side, but the right side only took 2 days.

i hear that, but i cut both sides at the same time..lol..no biggie though, just a little more work than expected. it will turn out nice in the end.

Yep, judging from thre good welds and careful cuts, you'll be doing fine! Nice work on getting the radius cut just so! I hope my flares go nearly as nicely :roll:

Davy

Guest bigjim240z

yes, i was very careful cutting and welding...im also doing the body work extra extra careful. this car has to be stunning! and it has to be extremely straight since it will be painted black cherry mica..might as well be black..lol..so it must me straight. well ill post more pics as i take them and make more progress.

Jim, one more thing I was thinking about: do the flares go down about the same level as the original fender lips? I'm hoping they do so you won't get that hi-boy look if you welded them too high. From the looks of things, it appears that you have done it correctly, but the wheels are not on, so it is difficult to tell. Just wondering.

Davy

Guest Your Car is Slow

Very nice...what kinda flares are those?

One question....about this pic

240z_work_075.jpg

are these initial tack welds the only ones you did? Or did you actually complete an entire bead where the flare met the body? Or did you just add a few dozen more tacks and bondo over it?

• 2 years later...