HybridZ

What do I need to get a 7MGTE into a 73 240z

Guest bOOsted 240Z

thats gonna have to be your decision and your decision alone, fitting isnt too tough, i have been a toyota guy forever, so when i went to build my car, it was no question, my z was getting a 7m or a 1jz, right now it has a 7m, ill probably put a 1jz in it someday, but i have another project to start on once my z is finished.. so it will be awhile, if you have any questions about the 7m swap you can e-mail me or a guy on this list with the sn Clifton, he has done it as well. or if you have any questions about the 7m in general feel free to e-mail me.

Paul Miller

Majik16106@yahoo.com

If you have neither I think the 7M is better if you over look the HG problem. Already a 3.0, 4 valve head, makes more power stock and modded, has decent stock injectors and intercooler, with a quick shim of the wastegate it will be fast enough for most.

If you search under my posts or 7MGTE you should find what you're looking for. There are a few pics on my link.

Guest bOOsted 240Z

The 7M does sound like a better choice to me since I have a set of supra 550c injectors and also on top of that I have alot of left over parts from my mr2 turbo.

What kind of mount did you guy used? and what tranny?

I think L28et is the better swap if you arent into fabbing up mounts and such. Mechanically its removal and reinstallation, only semi-hard thing is the efi wiring, but its not bad at all. Ive done three wiring jobs, Ill have a car running with it in a day, but the harness will look like and run like factory and be very very small, as ive learned what needs to be there and what doesnt, and learned how to bypass a lot of the funny loops that the harness takes.

mounts were all custom, i used the r154 5spd trans.

av240z - i dont own a digi cam, but my gf does, i have some pics on it of the build, i can probably get them e-mailed to me if thats cool, the car right now isnt complete though, its been torn down completely, as with most of the projects on this board, mine was beign completely built, motor and suspension, as well as an interior and body makeover. We put the motor in, ran it, now its back out, im a perfectionist, and im actually wiring all my elec. controllers into the stock wiring loom.. probably more trouble than worth, but it keeps it super clean. if you want some pics of it in shambles i can take a few more.. you tell me...

probably, i know i can sell you the engine cradle we made, the transmission mount i dont know about because we built it on the car, i should be able too, but im kinda busy now with work and such, it would be a little bit before i had a chance to do that... the transmission is the r154, came on the 86.5-92.5 toyota supra turbo, its a bullet proof 5 spd, australians use it for all sorts of swaps. i can do 400rwhp on a harder disk, stock plate, makes for near stock driving, easy and slippable, awesome, and they will hold up at the 280ish ill be using daily(8psi) for miles and miles.

I like the 7m because if you dont want a great deal of power, below 450rwhp lets say, and you put arp studs and a metal head gasket in it, you can put a to4e on it or an upgraded ct-26 (stock turbo) and it will be EXTREMELY reliable, and since it was meant to push around trucks, then dropped by toyota into the 3600-3800 lb 3rd gen supra, pushing a 2400lb Z is nothing.. it moves quite quickly.

The 7M does sound like a better choice to me since I have a set of supra 550c injectors and also on top of that I have alot of left over parts from my mr2 turbo.

I'm not 100%, but I think the MKIV 550cc injectors are high impedence and the 7MGTE are low. You might have a problem there.

Guest bOOsted 240Z

Im not in a rush to get the mount now so if you can, do it when you have times. Because I'm not doing the swap until springs and right now I have nothing yet.

Thanks for the advice on the injectors deep. I'll do some research on that. I have an extra set of 440c from my mr2 or I can just used the stock 7m and put in my propane injection kits for extra fuel and cooling once i turn up the boost.

I'm almost 100% sure the 2JZ 550's are side feed.

I'm not 100%' date=' but I think the MKIV 550cc injectors are high impedence and the 7MGTE are low. You might have a problem there.[/quote']