HybridZ

Turbo of cubic inches?

Dnaught14

Im looking to buy a z in the early summer and am looking at all my options. after looking over dyno charts and other info my confidence in the turbo swap into a gen1 z is decreasing. it looks like the hp gains of a turbo swap arent as sudden as i would have assumed them to be. I suppose what im asking is, how dificult is it to bring a turbo swaped z up to about 250hp? Ultimatly thats what my goal is, i dont want something to drag, just a classy daily driver. So do i go small v8 and use the inches, or turbo and deal with the boost changes, mixture etc.? Any input would be greatly appreciated!

ps looking to spend about 5-6 grand on a new z

That's a hard q' to answer without knowing you. :? Are you going to be doing it yourself or paying a shop? Which one do you have more experience with? Is it going to be a commuter for long distances? I think 250 is easily obtainable out of either one really and at that level reliability is similar. (Despite Bastaad525's experience :wink: )

Fuel economy - better with the turbo unless you go fuel injected and low ratio rear and the fi will cost.

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

I guess it would depend on budget and skills. The way that I get to 250hp is with a stand alone EFI system large injectors and a small turbo upgrade if I want to make the power at a lower boost setting, you could easily make that power and alot more. I have said before that if a V8 conversion is done, its a waste of time unless the engine makes 400hp. It would suck to get beaten by a turbo car after a swap has been done.

Though if your only looking for 250 that can be had with the turbo easily. No money would have to be put out for motor mounts and trans mounts and the like.

V-8 is an easy swap just the same though, the weights of the motors are about the same. Just depends on what you want.

I own a 280ZXT and get great gas mileage out of my car 28 highway. Sorry to say for the V-8 guys but I have never had a V-8 get that kind of mileage.

Boost is fun but so is all out torque. With the Nissan 2.8 turbo I dont see how you couldnt easily get to your 250 hp mark with good fuel and an ic.

It would definetly be the easier and cheaper of the two swaps if money is a concern.

One question to ask yourself seriously!:

Are you going to be satisfied with 250HP in 6 months, or a year.

I've owned a ZXT, and it was fun to drive. I have always been a V8 guy because upgrading HP is cheap and easy.

Think about what you are going to want in the future.

Tim

Getting to 250hp is easy on a turbo motor i think most would agree. Its going to take a good fuel pump and set of 370cc injectors (or adjustable fuel pressure regulator if you choose) and a boost controller. Thats it...

V8 is going to be alot more work as far as swaping in the engine as it takes alot more modifications, im talking out my rear here because ive never done a v8 swap but most stuff is going to be mounting it etc, motor mounts tranny mounts, driveshaft, etc. A turbo engine bolts in and most of the work is in the wiring harness.

I love my turbo Z, and like many before have said BOOST is FUN and ADDICTIVE. I think youll be happy either way.

Another question is what do you like more, v8s or turbos.

I can see a guy with a history of working around v8s leaning towards doing a v8 conversion, and the same for turbos. At one point in my life I worked on S/BBC/F/M almost everyday for years, I didnt want to come home to one, thats what happened to me, I just got sick of seeing them.

For daily driving, I prefer my turbo car vs. my v8z, IMO and IME, its a lot easier to drive and off the boost feels like its bone stock. I drive my car up to 500miles a week and no less than 250weekly. I drive it so much I change my oil every 6 weeks when its closer to 500miles/wk. The v8 car would beat me silly all the time, but I had much more into the suspension that my current car. Heres my favorite, I redline this car almost everyday for a year now, do 80 minimum on the freeway to the tune of 25mpg average (I tune my car using the crappiest/cheapest 91 octane I can find, and maintain safe a/f and egt@11psi, anything higher I use good gas and do some tuning, sounds weird but the way I have the car setup it doesnt ping whatsoever and starts up with almost no key motion from a cold morning startup :D ) mpg is lower im sure because of that, if not its because I drive like im trying to get somewhere, fast :twisted:

What are you looking to do? Buy a hybridz, make a hybridz, or have someones shop make you a hybridz, these affect things somewhat.