HybridZ

*idea for c.v axles/Q45 lsd*

Guest freakypainter

Guest freakypainter

well for starters I recieved my R33 clip last week and it also came with the complete rear end minus the struts. 41830580.jpg

I already have a Q45 lsd sitting in the garage but I have not decided what I'll be using yet. Anyway, I pulled the rear stub axle out of my 280z 41830555.jpg

notice the outside bearing, the spacer, the inside bearing. I then pulled the knuckle off of the skyline assembly, this is a picture of the inside of the bearing as it uses only 1 sealed bearing that is pressed into the knuckle and the hub is then pressed into the bearing. 41830471.jpg

The bearing spacer from the stub axle is the same size as the skyline hub. 41830459.jpg

41830382.jpg

41830435.jpg

If I can find some bearings(inner/outer, hopefully sealed so I can eliminate the dust seal issue) I can use the skyline hub with the 280z knuckle which would allow me to shorten the axle shaft itself and not have to use 4 inner joints as has been done before. For the guys wanting to do the Q45 swap all you would need is the 5 lug hubs and 1 set of axles. Unfortunately I wont have access to a press until monday, I want to get an accurate measurement of the inside dia. of the skyline wheel bearing before I start looking for bearings. from what I can tell I need a 2 3/4 outside dia./ 1 11/16 inside dia. bearing. Then all I would need is to shorten the axle shaft and reassemble the c.v. axle.

Guest freakypainter

I thought about using the entire assembly but it has rear steering and I dont want to mess with trying to make it work. This car started out to be just something to drive on the weekends and has now evolved into what will probably be a street legal race car,lol. I was bitten several times by the while I'm in there bug.

Rear steer is easy to get rid of. You have your choice of using Infiniti Q45, J30 or Nissan 240SX parts. They even have a tough tubular aftermarket option. I will post it if I find it. The difficulty in doing the complete swap, is mating it to the Z unibody. If you are interested I can send pics. jic_toe-arm.jpgalbum_pic.php?pic_id=1834

Guest freakypainter

Im screwed, after dealing with stupid people all day I finally called both Timkin and NTN to see if they made the bearings I would need and of course they don't, that would have been to easy. So I guess I'll have to use the whole cradle and get rid of the rear steering.

Just a few additions to this post.

1 That R33 style rear suspension assy is the one that Ive posted before and said would be an relatively easy swap into 280ZX.

2 I considered that same idea on 280ZX but the original hubs are too wide.

3 For those with lower HP expectectations Ive come up with an idea for modifyiny tripod CVs off 200-240SX into 280ZX which when I get my shortened shafts back and checked all components in situ I will let you know. It enables the fitting of viscous LS centre.