HybridZ

2ND FLARE DONE...

Guest bigjim240z

Guest bigjim240z

Well kinda...i primered the front flare and found a couple spots i dont like..so ill go back and clean em up tomarrow and reprimer. well i almost have one side complete. looks like ill be onto the passengers side soon, then gotta take care of a few dings in the roof and hood. once i got the body work done i will be spraying down some feather fill primer and alot of block sanding to make sure its straight. gotta ways to go, more pics to come as i progress. 240z_work_102.jpg240z_work_101.jpg240z_work_103.jpg240z_work_100.jpg

Guest bigjim240z

oh, and the extra on the front flare will be cut off. im putting on an aero kit and am waiting to see where it will have to be cut when i mock up the kit. dont wanna cut it at the wrong angle or too short and have to do more work.

Guest bigjim240z

maybe its the light gray primer?..the other pics had a metal etching dark gray primer over them..just to cover the raw metal and make sure everything sticks well.

I posted the pictures, linked below, in a few other threads on this forum, but, I think it bears more than one look. I believe these are the same flares BigJim is currently installing. I kinda like'em! Although it could be the nice paint.

I'm going to start a thread called "Blending Different Body Upgrades For Custom Results", which I think is what BigJim is talking about doing on this current project, with a few pics of different body treatments to get some ideas from list members.

BTW -- I linked to the images instead of posting them as images so I wouldn't take up bandwidth for people who don't want to see them. Is that better? Or just go ahead and post them?

Image: Nice Fenders

Image: Nice Fenders, Rear

I like those flares, but I don't like where they mount. I tried a new program that I got with my digital camera for editing pictures and was able to show you where I think those flares would look good. Right to the top of the body line, like this on the front flare and the rear flare (first try at this picture editing stuff, so be kind :wink: ):

New%20Flares.JPG

Just a slight difference.

!M!

Guest Your Car is Slow

One question....about this pic

240z_work_075.jpg

are these initial tack welds the only ones you did? Or did you actually complete an entire bead where the flare met the body? Or did you just add a few dozen more tacks and bondo over it?

One question....about this pic

are these initial tack welds the only ones you did? Or did you actually complete an entire bead where the flare met the body? Or did you just add a few dozen more tacks and bondo over it?

The above question anticipated my own exactly! :idea:

maybe its the light gray primer?..the other pics had a metal etching dark gray primer over them..just to cover the raw metal and make sure everything sticks well.

You could be right, maybe its just the angle. Regardless, they look mint.

The flares are not super wide because it is meant to be a subtle flare that looks slightly wider..I believe its 3 1/2" wider in the rear and 2/12" in the front. The flares have been completely welded and then ground down and blended in i believe. I chose these flares because they were different and they are steel. I may have to run a 9 or 10" rim i am not sure. i am sure i have not seen these flares coupled with a msa aero 2 kit so it should be diferent..Jim has got his work cut out for him thats for sure...:)

now if i could only find a console.......phillip

... i am sure i have not seen these flares coupled with a msa aero 2 kit so it should be diferent..Jim has got his work cut out for him thats for sure...:)

The picture below is supposed to be a combination of the MSA Aero kit and; Reaction Research Subtle-Z fender and quarter panels.

RonBest010.jpg

I like the Victoria British flares a lot, but, they need to be blended into the body better by tying them in with the front spoiler, some side skirts and something behind the rear wheels.

I keep coming back to the picture of the 240 with the fine blue with white stripe paint and the Victoria British flares. though. It's got a certain classic look that can't be dismissed.

The picture below is supposed to be a combination of the MSA Aero kit and; Reaction Research Subtle-Z fender and quarter panels.

RonBest010.jpg

I like the Victoria British flares a lot, but, they need to be blended into the body better (like BigJim plans to do) by tying them in with the front spoiler, some side skirts and something behind the rear wheels.

I keep coming back to the picture of the 240 with the fine blue with white stripe paint and the Victoria British flares though. It's got a certain classic look that can't be dismissed.

Guest bigjim240z

hey wrenchtech, i would love to see some side veiws of that car. i gotta figure out how to fit the msa aero kit to the car with the flares. the aero kit uses the factory wheel arch to mount to, so ill have to fabricate somthing to make it al work together. as for the welds on the flares the above pic was taken to show the placment of the flare and it was just tacked on. i did place alot of small tacks together to make a solid bead around the flare. a continueous bead would burn through the thin metal and distort everything around it as well as the flare. oh and the placement of the front flare was done by the way the flare fit to the body, there is a knotch in the flare that supposed to match up with the lip on the bottom of the fender, if i would have placed the flare up as done in the photo shopped pic about , the bottom would have not lined up at all and major reworking of the flare would have been needed, and that just was not an option right now, way way to much work to do to be adding more on..lol.

hey wrenchtech, i would love to see some side veiws of that car. i gotta figure out how to fit the msa aero kit to the car with the flares. the aero kit uses the factory wheel arch to mount to, so ill have to fabricate somthing to make it al work together...

The image below is pretty low rez, but, It's the best I've found. The picture came from the Reaction Research website. Apparently the owners name is Ron Best. That's all I know. Matt

RonBestZ020.jpg