HybridZ

LT1 TB modification

I've been thinking about taking my spare twin butterfly TB for the LT1 and having the throat bored out and making a single oval butterfly. I am sure that this would greatly increase the the airflow through the TB and make the throttle response better. Have any of you LT1 guys performed such a mod? Is it effective? Is it effective enough to be worth the time, $$$ and effort? The hamster running the wheel in my heads thinks it would be :D

Tim

I'm sure the performance benefits would be great, but I've also heard that it gets slightly more difficult to tune the EFI due to the greater inrush of air vs the relatively more gradual inrush of the twin plate design.

That being said, I too have a single plate large TB, so it can't be all that difficult.

I thought you were getting the TB with the NOS ports built into it?

Owen

From what I know it wont help a stock engine. Are you planning to modify the engine anytime soon? If not then I would say spend your money on something else, for now atleast.

You could just buy the "NOS" TB that is already plumbed for NOS which is a 58MM TB. They are kinda pricey though, last time I checked they were about $560.00 or so. :shock:

Guy

You could just buy the "NOS" TB that is already plumbed for NOS which is a 58MM TB. They are kinda pricey though' date=' last time I checked they were about $560.00 or so. :shock:

Guy[/quote']

That's exactly the point. For $500+ and it doesn't even come with any of the Nitrous hardware, just ports built into the TB!! BS!! That's exactly why i want to do my own. I figure about $100-$200 and I'll have something even better.

Tim

I actually want to try the same thing on my tb, but since I only have one tb at the moment, I dont want to risk it. A machine shop could remove the center section of the tb easily with a few passes of an endmill. I doubt it would take more than a few minutes. There might be a water passage in the center section that would be destroyed, but it would be easy and beneficial for most to bypass the tb coolant all together.

My only real concern would be in making an oval plate that fit precisely over the new opening, but any competent machinist with a rotary table could do this. There are also plenty of laser/plasma cutting shops that could make a plate accurately without fuss. As a final (ugly) option, you could just leave the two circular plates there and put a properly sized rectangle on top of them to bridge the gap

As a final (ugly) option, you could just leave the two circular plates there and put a properly sized rectangle on top of them to bridge the gap

At WOT you would loose some of your opening which would be taken up by double thick plates. I was thinking of profiling the oval plate and thinning the shaft and grinding the heads of the little grub screws.....

Tim

Guest Your Car is Slow

Arizona Speed and Marine sells a "monoblade" 1300cfm throttle body (have to modify your intake to match it though).

There is also a guy on ebay who will turn your stocker into a monoblade (although probably not quite as nice as the ASM one) for a relatively cheap price.

Generally you bid on his item and have to send him your stocker as a core charge if I remember correctly.

At WOT you would loose some of your opening which would be taken up by double thick plates.

Although overlapping plates is not ideal, there would still be a larger cross section at WOT than with the stock TB.

How about removing the stock plates all together,then turn the stock tb into a "large oval opening", and finally placing a common round TB somewhere in the plumbing (perhaps behind the MAF). You'd have to reroute your throttle cable, and would probably need some plumbing parts from Home Depot. The advantage is that you wouldn't need custom machine shop work done. A LS1 TB flows well and probably has a compatible TPS.

-Jason