HybridZ

Have to put turbo z on the backburner for couple months

mobythevan

In my grand scheme to change my finances around and have more money ultimately to work on the z car I have to first sell my newer truck and fix up an older one for the wife. She wants a crew cab 1 ton dually and would just as soon have an older truck that I can work on so reapir bills stay low and she has lots of money for her horses. So in supporting that idea and sticking to my hybrid mentality I am picking up an 85 ford crew cab dually tomorrow morning. Then promptly pulling the blown up diesel engine and tranny and lowering a small block chevy and 4 speed in to see how it will fit. This is suppose to be a reliable and simple truck so it is getting a carb'd chevy engine, also in the interest of saving dollars because I have the engine and tranny already. I feel the diesel engine is too expensive, complicated and underpowered for its purpose. So I figure I will find out if there are any show stoppers this weekend and if not, the chevy engine goes in. Then when she has the money to buy her horse trailer and wants more power to tow it I will either swap a 454 in or drop a weiand 142 supercharger on the small block. I already checked all of the junkyards for a replacement diesel or a 460 engine, but no luck, so I'll stick to what I know and go sbc. Once this is finished I will then have more monthly cash to spend on the turbo z. The z is getting to the point where it requires more cash than fabrication at his point anyway.

"Horses?"

Are you telling me all those books my wife has been receiving in the mail recently from the "Equestrian Book of the Month Club" portend bad things for my Z's? Maaaaaan!

The 81 CAS is sitting on the engine, hopefully I will have the motor dressed this weekend, and ready to go into the car for wiring to commence. Have all the bits, just need to hookem all together.