HybridZ

LS1 swap started

Looking really good!! This is going in place of the LT1, eh? I was hoping to see your LT1 personally before something like this happened, but I guess it was inevitable in the quest for speed :D

Will you be at the Rio Vista meet with the car? It would be cool if you were finished before the meet.

Davy

Man how long did you have the LT1 in there, was it even a month? You didnt even have it in there long enough to work out the bugs! LOL So why the swap over the LS1? I know the LS1 is a great engine but the LT1 isnt that bad! LOL :lol:

Guy

80lt1 I know I only had the LT1 in my car for 9 months. I love the LT1 but I think that I could make more power with the LS1.

I just put on the factory manifolds on and they fit, but I am going to try a set of Sanderson headers on Monday. If the Sandersons do not fit then I will go back to the factory manifolds.

Looks great! Man are you in a hurry! I thought you were going to wait a while. Did you sell the LT1? I hope you will document the swap for all of us who plan to follow! Can you post some pics of the motor mounts you made? Do you plan to run A/C? Will you mount the alternator in the stock location? I can't wait to start mine.

I am going to mount the alternator on the top pass side.

The only thing that I had to do to miss the steering gear was to rotate the ex flange some.

I took off the ac last night on the motor, I never had AC so it is ok.

Phantom I am going to just spend the $550 for the LS1edit so I can change anything that I want on the ecu at anytime. Down the road I want to put on heads and cam, so I will need the program for the dyno.

Headers, I will find out tonight if the fit.

My mounts are nothing like the ones that everyone else makes. The nice part about it is that you do not have to put in a new x-member. They look just like the JTR mounts and they bolt right to the factory X-member. I will post pics up on them in a few days.

Hey you LS1 Guy's, also LS6 Guy's! AFR now makes a bad ass head for the LS1/LS6. They flow like 300+ cfm. :shock: Suppose to be the first after market set up and makes incredible power!

Mike

Clears steering shaft with no mods? And there's room on the passenger sied for exhaust? I had to move my column over by a 1/2" - just like Lonestar1 (Gary) did. And I still have minimal clearance for exhaust on the pass. side.

So, are your mounts like Gary's: large setback plates mounted to the stock towers and the strut rod mounts?

I was slow posting up on this one, but if you are looking for high passenger side alternator, I love the way mine turned out. It is from Street and Performance. You could probably also use there vette style brackets. It looks like there is room. Great job and quick! :2thumbs:

album_pic.php?pic_id=2775

I started making some brakets to mount my alternator in about the same place you have yours. The only problem that I found was that I had to take off the pladtic cover on the back of the alternator. Does that mount move the alternator out and towards the radiator? Thanks for the info.

No it does not. It uses the same crank pully. The alternator is a small GM 1 wire setup. I tried using the stock alternator up there, but like you said. It is too big. I removed the plastic cover too, but I really didn't like it so I bought the new alternator. I am running the A/C with the stock style mini serpentine belt in stock location with bracket milled down ~1/2" stock power steering and the tensioner is were the alternator used to mount. If you want to use the stock alternator, try looking for a vette bracket and you could do this w/o power steering.

IM000205.jpg