HybridZ

Progress Pics

240hoke

Hey guys,

Just thought I would share some pictures of my progress over the past couple weeks. Blew the #1 piston 2 weeks before christmas. Since then Ive replaced the piston(oem), honed the cylinders, and replaced all the rings. Also upgraded to a t3/t4 turbo, europulley and a few other goodies. I should have some more pictures tomarrow, still waiting on parts to come back from the powdercoaters.

Also a note to you guys using sds. With my last setup i couldn't rev the car over 5k, at which point the ignition would go crazy. this is what caused the piston failure. Anyway to try and solve this I have upgraded to a new pulley (to eliminate any play) and also used a lathe to scrib the circle in the pulley. Another thing is noticed is when I went to the europulley it gave the magnet mounting circle a radius of ~4" the magnets take up a much greater % of the arc then they did on the stock 280zxt pulley which had a radius closer to 7". Therefore magnets are seen for a greater period. Anyhow, I guess this is all specualtion right now, but I got my hopes up I'll be hitting 7K. :-D

Anyway hope you enjoy!

album_pic.php?pic_id=2810

album_pic.php?pic_id=2808

album_pic.php?pic_id=2809

album_pic.php?pic_id=2811

album_pic.php?pic_id=2807

-Austin

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

Man I wish my computer would show the pics as for the ignition snaps I am betting a new crank sensore is needed. Good luck let us know how it turns out.

I've seen the closeups of your trigger mount before and questioned it's rigidity then. Could you be picking up vibrations through the "stand off" type mount where the trigger is not as steady as it needs to be? That would cause problems with the ignition system, right? Just guessing here, but according to the SDS manual, it says to make the mount strong enough that you could pick the engine up by it (as stated on page 2 of the EM-4F supplement installation instructions).

If you think I'm barking up the wrong tree here, please let me know and I'll shut up, but the plate that you have the trigger mounted on doesn't look quite solid enough to pick the engine up by.

I'm NOT being critical here. What you have looks like it would work, and it obviously does, but I'm preparing to install the SDS EM-4F on my engine and was strongly advised by Ross at Racetech (SDS) to make the mount EXTREMELY strong. I don't want to seem negative in any way, but I'm not the only one who has mulled over the pictures for a while and wondered about the rigidity issue.

Warren

hey guys thanks for the comments,

drax -- The exhaust amnifold and turbo are painted with eastwood's high temperture exhaust manifold paint. I ran it on my last turbo for a year and it seemed to hold up very good. Just a little bit came off at the very top along the flange.

customlock -- I see where your coming from, my setup doesnt look very strong.... i wouldn't want to pick the engine up by it. But I think that It is more then adaquate for the task. I have looked at many different ways to mount the trigger and considered running a setup like the guy in SportZ did. But i came to the conclusion this is the best route. If I am still having the ignition issue i will beef up the bracket. IMO this bracket would be bullet proff with thicker spacers.

I'll keep you informed with the results though.

Heading out to pick up my valve cover/ intake mani/ ic pipes right now. I'll get some more pics up tonight...

im gettin excited :D

Got my parts back from the coaters. They messed up my I/C pipes and did them in cermacrome in stead of black. But i think It will look cool, they knocked 50 bucks off the price anyhow :-D . Didnt get much time to work on it tonight but here a pic of the valve cover and manifold just sitting there. Im outta school tomarrow so I should be able to get the engine pretty much done...

album_pic.php?pic_id=2820

heres the wastegate mount i made out of some 16 gauge sheetmetal...

album_pic.php?pic_id=2821

-Austin

yeah the dude is 17! he knows his Shat too.. lol.

building it himself and all his money.

he can tell you better then i can.

i liked talking to him on the net, its nice to talk to other people my age that are into these cars and etc.

mike

Wow the engine keeps looking better and better. I was wondering what you are using to cap over the distributer. I am using the SDS with digital ignition as well, and am trying to figure out what to do. I really don't want to gut out the distrbuter and just leave it there. Could you take a closer pic of that area. You can just e-mail it to me or send me a PM, or put it in this post. Thanks for the help. I wish I had your talent now let alone at 17. Who taught you what you know?

Yeah man I give you mad props for building a car like that while your in highschool. I'm 16 and just starting my 280zt project, but it's hard to find time to work on my car. Hopefully things will get moving in the next week or so. Anyhow nice setup you got their. Keep us updated on what kind of times it runs. Also how hard was it for you to get the aftermarket efi setup.

John

Guest znow white

Nice work man mad props! I like the engine bay when you had valve cover polished and also intake also goes real nice with intercooler pipes. (i even have a save pic of it on my pc) I dunno thats just what I think..... I thought you was much older. Iam 19 and also starting my 280zt I only hope it looks as half as good. Keep up the good work and keep us updated.