HybridZ

Couple basic turbo swap questions....

Dnaught14

Question1: I know that a l28et will line up on the same engine mounts as a L28 in the gen1 models. But if I did do the swap would i need to modify the trans mounts for a t5?

Question2: I hear guys talking about modded rear ends and diff when the do a swap...Would i need a new driveshaft, and or diff/rear-end on the whole set up?

Question 3: Stock computer, or aftermaket engine managment, i know thats a personal oppinion thing, but any unput would be fantastic.

Finally, I would love to be able to purchase an already turboed car and build on to it previous ownews work. But if i must start from ground zero im cool with building my own z. I jus wana make sure i have a genral idea of what the hell im getting into, when i do it.

When I installed the T5, there seemed to be two types of tranny crossmembers: The original one from my 280Z that was straight across, and the one from the donor 280ZXT 2+2 automatic, which was swept back. I used the swept back crossmember, and slotted both the mount and the transmission mounting holes to get enough room to mount it. It was a PITA; from reading others' installations, those who weld have come up with better solutions.

As far as I know, other than the driveshaft, that is all the custom work required. The T5 slave cylinder attaches and works well with the 280Z clutch master and line, and of course I used the 280ZXT flywheel and clutch (from another source, my original donor was automatic).

Guest Zcarsmakemyheadhurt

I guess the fuel injection question would also be directly related to how much power you are looking to make. I like standalone fuel computer because they do away with air flow meters and tunning a car with a large T-body and large injector is easier. As for the T-5, they are not stronger and I was sick of them failing in 3rd when it counts, so I don't recomend them. If you need a tricky tranny I use a Silvia unit with some machine work to fit the L28. You get a longer gear that shifts easy at high RPM. If your looking to buy a built car, I am putting a Z together using parts from my totaled ZX in the next few months if your interested, it should produce 400hp to the wheels and be very driveable, let me know if your interested in a parts list. Have fun.

Alex C

(727) 233-0603

1 - I used the swept back crossmember of of the ZXT donor as Sleeper mentioned and welded new ears on the mount to move holes foward about 3/4 inch. Also slotted the T5 tranny like moby mentioned.

5226Modified_Trans_Mount.JPG

2 - You don't NEED a new rear but the R200 is stronger than the R180 and, to take it one step further, CV's are even stronger. Driveshaft out of the '82ZXT donor fit fine in my '73.

3 - I am determined to hit 11's with stock ECM this year. If i had $, I'd go aftermarket. You get to a point in the build where you exceed the limits of the stock ECM. Depends on your build.

As for the T-5, they are not stronger and I was sick of them failing in 3rd when it counts, so I don't recomend them.

The T5 is quite strong, and most here will disagree with the above statement. Don't get me wrong - the Nissan trannies are very good.

The weak link with the T5 is the shifting mechanism, which is easily remedied with a B&M or other aftermarket shifter (for Mustangs with T5s) with hard stops. I absolutely LOVE the way mine shifts now, and works reliably into the 11s.

Nathan, i couldn't agree more. My T5 shifts great through all gears. When i installed it, i used the shifter out of a mustang T5 with the rubber bushings. I hear the aftermarkets like you mentioned are even better. I have nothing against the Nissan trannies, i just blew through 3-4 of them with my first Z so i decided to go T5 with this one. It's been holding up great so far. I also like the look of it in the schematic when it breaks it down. Looks to be much beafier than the Nissan tranny. Just my opinion.