HybridZ

Best/ Cheapest Source for Tremec TKO - Chevy

Mikelly

Yes the G-Force T5 should be plenty strong enough for your Z Mike.

Also alot lighter overall, plus less reiprocating weight=less parasitic drivetrain power loss.

Mark

ps. You and Pete should fly out for the 3rd annual NorCal HybridZ Hob Nob & Swap on April 3. I'll buy the first round! :D

I'm pretty convinced that a bone stock Tremec TKO, not being used for drag racing, would hold up fine for my particular application. I know of three guys who are running this trans in mustangs ( much heavier cars) making over 550hp at the wheels and the trans holds up fine. Keep in mind, this car will be a street driving track play toy.

I think the Gforce is a great trans, but not necessarily warranted unless you are gonna launch on slicks on a regularl basis.

Mike

Not to steal this post but is there a lesser version of the g-force? I'm with mike, I don't think you need all that toughness for a mainly street driver. Woulndn't mind having one but they are cost prohibitive. I would like to see a mild rebuild kit that bumps in hp/tq ratings for anything under 400 units of either measure.

Mark, I've found them for $1599 plus shipping. I"m not knocking the price of the Gforce, and I know you are a fan of it, I just don't see the need for it. If I was gonna go that route, I'd investigate putting another T56 in, which is in the same price range.

I'm trying to get CHEAP on getting a GOOD transmission... $1200 is the ball park I'm shopping for and a good used one would certainly work. Also, the Tremec has a break in period. I used to HATE them, but a couple of minor things you can do to ease the shifting stiffness by swapping shifters and fluid. It does ease up with those two items a about 2000 miles.

Another comment about the T5 "Buttery Shifting Trans"... They flex and they flex BAD. The case is the cause of more internal parts failures on T5s than any other cause. So, make sure you go with an upgraded case if you plan to run a T5 Gforce tranny.

Mike 8)

Well it looks like I've found a Vendor who sells them for $1490 plus shipping... So far that is the lowest price on new TKOs... Still searching for a deal on a used one... If not, I'll be getting one from them...

Mike 8)

Guest 350zgto

I got mine from Fortes. The case is cast to bolt right to a Muncie, T-10 type bellhousing. 26 spline input shaft, (late model), 28 spline output shaft, 425 ft lb torque rating. Mike Fortes was very helpful and he carries everything else, to, like t/o bearings, clutches, yokes. He shipped in a very sturdy box UPS and it arrived perfect. He has the upgraded versions also.

Mike,

I have a supra 5 speed behind my small block. W-55 Ithink its called. Was behind the 7m turbo supras. Bloody nice shifting trans and you could pick them up dirt cheep in the states. They are rated to 400 lbs torque from the factory, a lot more if you up grade some of the bearings (I think its only the tail shaft ones at that. You can get different shift remotes as well to place the shifter where you want it. I would guess that you could put it in a lot cheeper then the tremec.

Douglas