HybridZ

Streched tire questions

Guest ON3GO

WHOA :eek2: I have a sure "fire " way to seat those beads. It involves liquid fire?starter fluid and a match. Done it mant times on deflated big rig tires and huge 4x4 tires too. Works everytime!!!! Not for the amateur though!!!!!!!!!!!!! :oops:

• 1 month later...

Agreeing with JohnC and 260DET, I've always read/heard/thought the following works best:

185 on 6"

205 on 7"

225 on 8"

245 on 9"

265 on 10"

Right now I'm running a 250 slick on an 8" rim and I know I'd get better performance if I could fit them on a 9 or 9.5" rim, but I have to flare the car to make the rims fit, and then I'd want a different offset. There are definitely width variations from manufacturer to manufacturer, but if the sidewalls are pretty much straight up and down the tire can flex in both directions the way it was designed to.

Jon

You want oldskool?

Try 13's!

I had a friend that had 13x8's with 235/35/13's on them(approx..I'm sure of the width. and that they were 13's)

They looked HUGE even though they were not all that wide. The car looked mean with them on it.. I wish I had pictures. I almost bought those rims... way back in 1989.

Talk about an instant lowering job and unsprung weight reduction!!

Guest JAMIE T

My Z28 came stock with 245's on an 8" wheel. 225's would very small on that wheel. The 245's are pretty much flush with the rim. I've got 255 drag radials on the back right now, and you can hardly "see" the differance.

My '71 has 235's on an 8" wheel, and it looks ok.

Jamie, I know lots of people do not agree with me on this and many other issues too. Porsche used to have 7's and 8's on 911's and they came with 225's and 245's. I personally don't give a crap about looks - ask anyone who has seen my car up close :wink:. In fact, I'm going to have to get rid of my "TRD-What's that spell?" license plate frame and get a new one: "All go, no show".

I want what goes the fastest on an autox or a road race track, and I think my little table is pretty correct from that standpoint. Only AFTER learning what goes fast did my tastes change. Now a 185 on an 8" rim or a 245 on a 7" rim looks :ugg: to me.

My opinion is just my opinion though, take it for what it is worth... probably not much.

Jon

Guest JAMIE T

I'm not talking about "Looks" either. Just what came OEM on an 8" wheel. I do agree with you about too small and too large tires looking bad and performing even worse than they look. BTW, I'll buy your "TRD - Whats that spell?" license plate frame. That's too funny.