HybridZ

Would this be illegal?

zeeboost

I currently have an 82 280zx with a sbc 350 -- the exhaust is 2 4-1 headers with flowmasters. What I'd like to do is just have the mufflers directly under the seats. I know this would be loud, but it will give a clean look in the rear. My friend had an 86 GT with headers, H-pipe, and flows right after the h-pipe with no tailpipes (pretty much like the setup I'm wanting) and a couple of years ago the laws changed and he couldn't pass inspection so he had to install tailpipes on it. I don't think mine would be exempt if his 5.0 wasn't.

Another question: why aren't sidepipes illegal? It seems like they are pretty much in the same position as the setup that I want, just along the side of the car.

Anyways, thanks in advance.

I dont think you have emissions testing down in Yorktown, YET. But in the DFW area and maybe Houston i think it's any vehicle 2-24 years old gets the emissions test. 96 and up gets it's OBDII computer checked to see if any codes are tripped and 95 and below gets on the two speed dyno test. So now if you own a 79 and below vehicle, you only need a safety sticker. :cheers:

Guest 1975yellowBSPZ

It has been my experiance that we are WAYYYYYYYYYYY more relaxed on things of this nature in Texas. I would think you'd be fine (esp if you went to the right place for the test). Wait a couple of years till its exempt and you'd be fine no question.

In my town, the guy that does inspections is an old rotten bastard. I took my little 4 banger Ranger to get inspected with stock exhuast, and he put his hand over the tailpipe and declared it had an exhuast leak. By his professional guess it was somewhere around the cat, so I took it home, let the truck idle, crawled under there, felt around the entire pipe back out and didn't feel any air leaks, so just to be sure I tightened the cat bolts. Then, I did the same test that he did, and it didn't push my hand away with THAT much force when I tried to cover it, but it did a little. I mean, what the hell do you expect from a 100 hp 4 cylinder at idle? So I took it back there and he still didn't pass it. What an ass... Anyways, I'm suspecting he'll do the same thing to my zx as he did to my friend's GT.

Hey labrat, I may need to take a trip up to Austin to get it "inspected" at your friend's place. Maybe slip him a couple of bucks too for his troubles. :wink:

The theory CO won't get in the passenger compartment if the exhaust exits behind the cab (trucks) or behind the rear axel (Cars).

In that same little 4-banger truck, I've had the tailpipe off before with the exhaust ending at the muffler outlet, which is about 3-4 feet passed the cab and that wouldn't pass inspection either. :roll:

I hate all of these damn laws; soon engines are going to be either electric or hydrogen-powered so why can't we at least enjoy the gasoline engines before they're extinct? Oh, well, I suppose if I just wait a couple more years I'll be able to do whatever I want with it...

Looks like I'm going to be buying a fuel cell

Guest goldraven

cant help you out. but in colorado it is illegal to change anything on the exhaust that didnt come stock. I got a ticket probably 8 months ago, i had a aftermarket exhaust on my car and the policeman gave me a ticket for changing my stock exhaust system. make sure it isnt that way in your state.

• 6 months later...
Guest Dorifto_Tuning

Here's an idea - although it is slightly labor-intensive ...

Just pass your car with the stock exhaust, then once you have your emissions out of the way, put on the exhaust (or lack thereof) of your choice. And make sure you pop in the clutch around cops ... I've had bad experience out here in Utah with them ... :D

South Carolina does not have a vehicle inspection program in place at the current time and has not for about 5 years or so..here you can run short exhaust systems with no problem as without the inspections we also do not have emission control standards nor does anyone ever measure them. The only thing is some shops will not remove converters due to the fine for doing so..makes no sence as the owners take them off the cars and have the shop weld the exhaust sytem to the specs the owner wants..

I too am looking for something that has a european sound (ferrari) for my 77 280. I have a six into two header and am looking for something that sounds soft but powerful, loud but not too loud ( like my sons Eclipse with whatever is on it , looks like a 4 in pipe at the end and is deep but loud) . The Ferrari or Aston Martin sound would be great. Any ideas , and i do not want the bumble bee sound either.

Carolina Z