HybridZ

Anyone interested in this?

Guest bastaad525

Guest bastaad525

Okay... half of me says this is a really silly, pointless idea... but half of me keeps thinking it may be a great idea that would work pretty well especially for my particular setup.

I'm thinking of having an 'inline intercooler' made. What I'm thinking of is a small unit that would basically replace the entire straight section of the J-pipe. So figure over a foot long (however long the straight, middle section of the J-pipe is), and like 3"x 3" or so (or bigger, whatever could be made to fit well), with the openings facing the hood so that they can benefit from a 280z vented hood. I know it wouldn't benefit nearly as much as a regular FMIC, but it would help lower the intake temps at least somewhat, no? I think it'd be comparable to small stock factory I/C's, like the one found in the Suby WRX. I'm thinking it would be more than enough for guys like me who aren't planning on running really high boost levels... maybe enough to bump the safety threshhold from 10 to 12 or 13psi? I'm also aware that it may be restrictive depending on size and might cause a pressure drop... but think of the advantages... no custom piping or welding, just remove the J-pipe, cut the ends off, and weld them onto the I/C, reinstall and you're done. And as they say, any I/C is better than no I/C... I think it'd be a good, hopefully cheap alternative for guys who aren't looking for huge hp #'s. I think a 280z hood would almost be a requirement though so some cold air can get to the thing, but I am aware that the I/C would be placed a little forward of that vent... maybe one of those bitchin looking 280zxt-vents-onto-240z-hood conversions?

Any of you guys out there have the tools and knowhow to do something like this? Or know what kind of place I would go to try to have one made? Any idea how much it might cost? If anyone out there decides to follow this idea and make them themselves and sell them can I get a discount :D ? I'm also thinking of maybe trying to track down something like a heater core, modifying it with the proper sized inlet and outlets and using that. Anyone with any ideas please share them I'd really like to try something like this :)

Hey Bill, do you remember where you saw that? That would seem to be the most efficient intercooler taking up the least amount of space. If plumbing to the AC isn't too bad, I might be interested in that.

Guest bastaad525

I'm still considering a good water/alchohol injection system, but I do think, even without the hood vents, that an inline intercooler would help somewhat, wouldn't it? Would the benefit just not be enough to justify it? I know I've seen some stock factory I/C's mounted in places where they dont seem they'd get much if any fresh air....

from my research on intercoolers, its needs to be atleats 12x12x3 to cool correctly. you could get away with say 12x8x3 but the best is to start with atleats 12x12x3. and you can get those made easly.

thats with just a reg intercooler.. not those air to water ones or etc.

mike

Guest bastaad525

I COULD make it 12x12... it could be fit... sorta... I think... 12x8 I could definately do, but then the fins wouldn't point up to the hood vent...

What about a air-water intercooler. i have seen some setups in maximum boost that really interested me. The water to air intercoolers can be made very small and could be placed inside the engine bay. You could then run water line to the front to some small water coolers. In maximum boost if i remember correctly they did this in a BMW and it looked very trick. I think and air-water ic could be incorperated into a custom intake mani... anyway just a thought.

-Austin

Guest bastaad525

The reason I'm suggesting just a regular radiator-style intercooler, over either water injection or air-to-water I/C, is that those latter two options tend to be expensive. Water injection can be made yourself or bought from $200 to over $1000, and I believe air-to-water setups are priced at close to a grand as well. To someone who has the right tools a small intercooler, custom made to fit where I'm thinking to put it, could probably be made for quite a bit cheaper than either of these options. Air-to-water units and alch injection are great for guys who want lots of HP and 20psi of boost... i'm just looking for something that will let me run 10 or up to max maybe 13psi of boost safely. Basically this would be an I/C for guys like me who stick with a mostly stock setup, stock EFI and whatnot... enough to make a reasonably fast car in a 240 and not break the bank or necessitate replacing everything. Am I really the only guy on this whole board that believes in moderation?

pintoz, sorry I do not remember where that is. I found it on google searching specifically for Intercoolers and Freon. Should pop up some where. Very cool stuff! I think you coud get the piggy back system for like 2500, dunno if that was installed or not. Not cheap but tres cool.

Also, for track days I think the water to air intercoolers are Bad @ss. Get you jug o' ice water and boost it up!

Guest bastaad525
Moderation!!! What the hell is that!!!....sounds like a swear word to me :D

heheh... I looked it up :)

mah der AY shun - verb - to avoid extremes or make less extreme, usually due to a lack of available monetary resources or to a very disagreeable female companion, see also: being broke off your ass; marriage

Guest bastaad525
Siock injectors are only good for ~240 hp, which you should be able to do w/o intercooler - T3/T4, 10 psi and exhaust....

was thinking of that a while ago... actually posted a question to that effect a few months back. Knowing that the hybrid turbo will be more efficient and not generate the kind of heat my T3 is creating at 10psi, figured that would get me more power at the same level of boost off less heat. Going on the ~$400 price ranges I've heard some quote for custom I/C piping, I figured I could probably pick up a T3/04 for close to that amount if I really looked. Still much more expensive than what I"m proposing here, but a valid point. I was under the impression the MKIII Intercoolers sucked? I've got a decent I/C already (from a Buick G/N... have seen guys running 400+ hp on their GN's and retain the stock I/C) but getting it installed is a whole nuther thing. How much pressure drop is there with the Supra I/C? Just curious, though pretty much out of the question for me at the moment.

MKIII intercoolers are not the most efficient out there but if you're looking for a mild setup they work fine. They were made for an inline six with about 230 hp from the factory and there are plenty of supras pushing 300hp with the stock IC. I haven't tested the pressure drop myself but I've heard anywhere from 2 to 5 psi.