HybridZ

MSS Resistors BAH!...Moby?

Tony D

Did you place your resistors in the harness itself? I am to the wiring part of the MSS install, and am debating the Stock Ballast Pack -vs- the big resistors in the lines, as well as figuring out how to make it neat looking.

I mounted the GM Ignition Module to the bottom of the Relay Box as a heat sink, and ran a few ground lines to make sure everything is grounding properly.

I am wondering about those who wired MS or MSS how they overcame the resistor question, or should I gut it out and do the PWM figuring?

I could post there, but this seems to get more "Z" related postings, so the post here will probably be more productive.

Wiring of the 81CAS was the easy part, once this other stuff is done, I can hook up power and see if it all works...

Thanks in advance!

Yeah, I saw the specs on the resistors somewhere. I think I will mount the resistors similarly then, maybe amke a combination mounting plate for the relay box and everything.

Right now I am debating pulling the socket off the board totally and soldering in the jumper for the F-Idle, as I will be soldering in the leads for the Ignition Module from below the board, as well as adding the two pullup resistors and soldering in the power wires anyway...

You know, once the soldering station is fired up you may as well do it all---which will probably entail me assembline one of the Megaview kits I have sitting in the box right now...

I am running the Z31 Turbo Coil and it's connector, so I am making a harness from the relay box to the coil, and will run some ground wires to make sure everything gets landed properly.

Thanks for the reply, I'm off for some connectors and mounting herdware right now.

Man! Those are some serious cables there Sims!

I have some of the gold resistors like you have, and was thinking some sort of plate arrangement like Moby suggested, I just wanted to hide it outta site, ya know?

I wish the stock Ballast Setup was more conducive for re-use. Either that, or I am brain-farting because I swore someone said they were using the stock ballast pack.

Doing that would be cool, way cool.

I'm wiring again. 2 hours and most of the sensors are done in rough layout. Will do the CAS tomorrow afternoon.

Having a brain fart, and the Yahoo Groups sites are down right now so I figured to post here and see if someone can run the Injector circuit for me.

I am looking at the "Inj1 and Inj2" Blue terminals, and these are supposed to be power....

And then on the 20 connector on the relay board, "Inj1 and Inj2" which are supposed to be the return?

So where are all your resistors positioned in relation to each bank>blue power source, split to resistors, on to injectors, then run back common to the connector terminal? Cause I'm wonderin' where ground occurs---back in the MS at the FET's? The circuit function was nothing I ever looked at before, I know how the stock works, and was planning on running the stock ballast pack until I learned there's only one power wire in, and I would like to use two banks alternating.

BAH! So close, now this... :?

Either way, the stuff is coming out nicely, and the harness should look fairly stock, so that will deflect any suspicions. hell, I still have to do the interconnect between the MS and the Relay Box... But that's incidental, as it's straight pin to pin stuff.

Are you guys using S1 through S5 for anything?

your thinking correctly, the injectors are powered all the time from the power block(4 pin 12v terminal) and the FETs do the grounding to fire the injectors. I placed my resistors in the line between the power and the injector. They give you two terminal connections for each injector power to supply more current. One way you can do it is to run both inj1 wires connected to three resistors, remember these just supply 12v to the injectors and doubling up the wire allows more current flow. Then each resistor wires to each injector after that. Let me know if this makes sense to you.

inj1(12v)------|-----|-----|

inj1(12v)------|-----|-----|

.....................|......|......|

....................R1....R2....R3

..................inj1...inj2...inj3

Same setup from inj2(12v) to R4,R5,R6 and inj4,inj5,inj6

then the injector lines return to the other terminal connections (FETs)

sorry for the crappy text schematic, but the program throws out the spaces so I had to add . to keep alignment.

That's what I thought, thanks!

From memory, somehow 6.3ohm seems like the number people were using for the ballast resistors---is that the range for yours?

Maybe that was the stock ballast setup. I just stripped out a wiring harness from an 81 N/A ZX, and the power lead and ballast resistor on that vehicle is VERY nice. I may run that for the power supply for the injectors, as the wiring is all ready long enough for my purposes.

Matter of fact, that's what I will do---it can only smoke some small components, I have three more boxes ready. If it works, it will make the Corvair and VW installation much easier as pre-wired harnesses already exist!

The 81 did not use the funky 4+2 resistor setup, and has a nice big power supply wire I can split out to the "INJ1 & 2" power block, and them return them conventionally to the 20 screw terminal block as needed. If is set it up as "simultaneous" firing of the injectors, the ground load will be separated three and three via how I wire... Nice sunny day to do the wiring---how nice!

Maybe I'll go do the calculations like in the FAQ just to make sure my amps are good. Maybe I only need one FET to drive the whole works---that would be nice for "spares" standpoint if the original should fail on the road one dark and stormy night...

Lets see, 6.3+2.8=9.1 ohm load per injector, across six injectors, E=IR...

It would help if I revisited Lances FAQ page more often I think! :oops:

AND if I read Moby's post on the sticky where it plainly says "six ohm 25 watt resistors" DOH! :oops::oops::oops:

Yes, I just went out an verified that the STOCK BALLAST RESISTORS are 6.3 ohms. They have a connector with seven connections in it (at least off an 81 ZX) so I ahve one power to feed the injectors, and will split htem three and three on the way back to the ground at the 20 position terminal strip.

This will work well, as I am using stock components. The earlier vehicles I have seen use a funky 4+2 resistor pack, so I am pretty sure you can just hook the two power wires on that setup together to get a similar setup to the 81 Resistor Pack, with six resistive outputs to the injectors. Just like the stock setup---this lends me confidence...

I'm off to do more wiring. Thanks all! :-D

Only drawback to using the stock pack is that unless you have the tool to pull the spade terminals out of the plastic connector, you end up having to put all the shrinkwrap on the wiring in reverse order before you solder/crimp everything into place.

Still got those injectors left to wire up. Can't find my connector tool, and got sidetracked shrinkwrapping sensors, routing the coil wiring, and pulling the FIdle relay off the relay board and resoldering in the jumper.

Wish I had a spare box top that was unaltered, the spot where the relay poked through is open now, and would have worked well with a stock grommet for the engine wiring harness....

Maybe some lexan to block it up....Who knows. :lol: