HybridZ

The Official Hybridz Video

Drax240z

Pete the problem with having no music is this: a lot of clips have a) no sound, or B) crappy sound quality. If you leave a section of video with no sound at all it seems really unfinished when surrounded with other clips with sound. Hence 1 reason for the music; it ties everything together.

Also in order to achieve maximum effect the music should be tied with the video.

However doing a copy without music is pretty simple, so that should be doable.

I'd say this video will probably be done around the end of Feb. I am just working on it in my spare time. I will have to have the final clips I'll use in the next 2 weeks or so though, because after that it's just editing and it's rather counter-productive to be changing things very drastically. I like the video a year idea!

BTW I really want to outdo myself, so if it takes longer it's because I'm not happy with it yet. :) I've done 3 or 4 half-good videos in the past, I want this one to be all the way good. :)

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richard, I agree about the use of music if the original vid soundtrack is lousy - I'd rather hear music than nothing or noise! I just don't like the almost total music drowned-out that the HybridZVideo has. I'd rather hear the engines roar and the turbo's spool!

I'm looking forward to seeing this!

(The only vids I have of my Z are from the 1st SEZ event.)

I've got some video from the Flyin' Miata guys of them chasing the Rusty Old Datsun around Buttonwillow. I dont know sqaut about video stuff. I've got two files on two CDs. Both are .avi files with the first at 633MB and the second at 405MB. I can send the CDs if someone wants to chop up the files. The smaller file has probably the best shots where an E30 M3 goes of in front of the Datsun. No sound.

I'd also prefer to not have street racing in it. It's not that I don't hammer my car on the street, or get into the occasional blast against something for a short spurt (I do). I enjoy watching a few of those vids too. It's just that I think it be better to not have street racing on a video put together as an "official" HybridZ video.

I agree with what Pete said.

Street racing is not what we need to represent.

And yes I am guilty as well. :D

Guest goldraven

oh no, it just sat on the track, had to race with the heater on beacuse the engine was overheating. damn motel 6 had no AC at the time either...so nights were hell. but there is always titas pupuceria(sp?) to go to afterwards. anyone else been there? damn good food.

If you want John C., I can go through those CD's and get some good clips. I'll pay for shipping and for CDs if you want to make me a set of copies.

Oh...If any of you in the Bay Area want to get together to make some videos, we have a pretty good digital camera and a wide angle lens that I can slap on if need be.

i might get hammerd for this but i think we should have some street racing or atleast some street shots.

everybody loves darius videos and there all on the street.

plus most of us drive hour cars on the street, and it would be WAY boring if all the racing clips are 1/4mile racing shots.

mike

If you want John C., I can go through those CD's and get some good clips. I'll pay for shipping and for CDs if you want to make me a set of copies.

Thanks for the offer. Richard already PM'd me and I'm sending the CDs to him for the video. After I get them back, remind me, and I'll send them up to you if you want to make copies.

titas pupuceria

That's the Mexican resturant that's the actual town of Buttonwillow right? Yes, great food. I haven't stayed at any of the motels at 58 for a few years (got a camper) but I remember that the Super 8 has some pretty surreal murals painted on the walls of some of the rooms.

I like the video idea...unfortunately I am computer/video/mp3/file-this n that illiterate: so I'll just have to be one of the "Idea Men".

Just some thoughts off the top of my mind. Instead of one video why not multiple videos capturing each stage of the Z metamorphasis. Each video will show the entire phases from realizing your driveway or garage is empty to the purchase of a tow it home project from hell to a jackstand racing, test-n-tune, to full blow the doors off completion, all the way to the cruising scene and catching "the babe's" eyes: as well as the blow the competition's doors off scenes. This way you can use more than just one or two songs. Again not trying to overfill your plate...just ideas.

Some songs that I can think of are:

1) Deep Purple: "Perfect Strangers"

2) Carl Orff's: Carmina Burana's "Oh Fortuna"...this is the same theme song on Playstation's John Madden's NFL (I think), and many movies use it when they want to imply intense focus/militant/gutteral/gothic type of a struggle ect., ect.

3) Van Halen: "Drop Dead Legs"..perfect for the cruise scene-show one/more gals giving the Z(s) a once over look/nod of appreciation.

4) Deep Purple: "Wasted Sunsets"..perfect for a Jackstand Racing scene.

Movie Theme Songs you can take excerpt sound bites from:

1) City of Angels: "Univited" similar lyrics to Perfect Strangers just not as intense music

2) James Bond Theme

3) Jaws Theme

4) Scream: Trouble in Woodsboro's "Sidney's Lament"...this song is very Techno-Mechanical-Electrical sounding at the beginning

5) Star Wars: Darth Vader's Theme

6) T2 Terminator music

7) Close Encounters of 3rd Kind: "The Conversation"...this could mimic the auto's version of Dueling Banjo's as each car is tapping the excel pedal taunting each other as they are thinking about woup'n up on one another.

8) Clockwork Orange: "William Tell Overture"...the later part of the song

For a comical scene referencing a Jackstand Racing scene, you could show a "Dr.Olds" type scenario. Anyone remember the late 1960's Dr.Old's commercials...guys w/lab coats implying some Frankenstien of a Car being mfg'd in a lab w/erie music in the background and Lab Test-tubes uzing smoke out of them.

Cant wait for your video. Sounds like a great idea.

Kevin,

(Yea,Still an Inliner)

Guest goldraven
i might get hammerd for this but i think we should have some street racing or atleast some street shots.

everybody loves darius videos and there all on the street.

plus most of us drive hour cars on the street' date=' and it would be WAY boring if all the racing clips are 1/4mile racing shots.

mike[/quote']

i agree that there should be alot of street shots. i also think there shouldn't be any street racing. my 2cents

That's the Mexican resturant that's the actual town of Buttonwillow right? Yes, great food

oh yeah, it goes in screaming...and it comes out screaming.

I want street shots too! Like Darius in the cul-de-sac doing donuts :)

Believe me, I love the R1 vs Darius street race vid. And since NOONE else was on that stretch of divided highway, I'd not be too adverse to the inclusion of that clip either! But playing in traffic and night racing with bystanders alongside - I'm not for that. JMO.

I want street shots too! Like Darius in the cul-de-sac doing donuts :)

Believe me' date=' I love the R1 vs Darius street race vid. And since NOONE else was on that stretch of divided highway, I'd not be too adverse to the inclusion of that clip either! But playing in traffic and night racing with bystanders alongside - I'm not for that. JMO.[/quote']

oh im with you on that, but if we have ppl street racing on a street like Darius did then i dont see a problem.

i have TONS of racing clips of my old 300zx racing supras and such on roads like that, and ill prob have alot more when i get my green Z here with me.

so those type of street racing clips are ok with all of us right?

mike

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

I CAN HOST !

I am running an FTP server on my Linux computer on a cable connection. I can set up FTP dropboxes for everyone to drop off their files, as well as traffic limits so my ISP wont get pissed and boot me.

I can leave about 20 GIGs available for this project, and then I can burn them to CD as they come and send them to Drakx. I could also play them through my TV card and record them onto VHS to eliminate large file-sizes without sacrificing much quality. (I dont feel like wasting the time to convert everyones videos to mpeg4 or similar to change the file sizes to managable as this would take hours for even just a few).

As far as sound, I have always been a fan of the instrumental style. If you watch a lot of collection and tribute videos, they have a techno-style music in the background (just not as powerful as most techno these days). A few clips here and there of music with lyrics is probably good, but I wouldnt sit through it very long if it was all modern music with lyrics. Keep in mind too that legally you have to have permission for any music that you use, and songs with lyrics are very easy to identify.

Once we get a good final DVD (or 2 or 3) I would recommend taking a collection ($) to have the video professionally processed to balance out lighting, sound levels, etc to make it look much more professional, and appear almost as though every video was shot with the same camera.

Guest Nic-Rebel450CA

BTW, I vote that we make a separate venue for this project. I think a forum thread is too difficult for us to agree on ideas and guidlines. What we need is something like a single-page message board with voting statistics. I could put something like this up on my server too, we could just use this thread for discussing ideas, and the single-page board for taking votes, etc.

Today, I did something I hardly EVER do - watched TV.

Of course, I immediately turned to the SPEED channel, and watched "Victory By Design", with host/driver Alain de Cadenet. I've watched the older shows like this that he did, but these new ones are excellent. I watched the Aston Martin one, and the Ferarri one. Talk about some beautiful looking and sounding cars!

I also watched "Making of Victory By Design". That was very apropos to this discussion. The director noted that he worked very hard on getting the soundtrack to have the actual sounds of the cars as Alain drove them - that he didn't want to have to fill in with music, if I recall. And it was well worth it - I cranked the TV volume up and listened to the beautiful sounds of those engines as Alain drove the cars.

I know that what we're working on is in no way a directed tv show, but it just pointed out that engine sounds are preferred by many to music, when watching cars being driven. Unless of course, it's a giant bumble-bee fart can exaust soundtrack!!!! :)